REAL Name for a Come_Along

Is there another "REAL" name for a come-along? I called a hardware store and they did not know what that was? Either the guy is real dumb, or else there is a more "technical" name for them. That's what I have always called them.
Anyone know?
Thanks
It might be called a ratcheted puller or hoist.

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

A little googling brings the phrases "hand winch", "hoist pull", "chain puller", "power puller".
Did you talk to a guy in the store's automotive department? They should at least *know*. I do know our local ACE has a couple of different models.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Try "block and tackle"
replying to Chuck B., Peter Pond wrote: Excellent: readers seem to fit in the same category as the clerk;)
On 7/7/2017 2:14 PM, Peter Pond wrote:

Thanks for the reply. It is 13 years since the original post and we are having a memorial service for the OP. Since he did not know the name of the equipment, he just bought a pulley and clothes line to use to lift his mother's Grand piano up to the 14th floor of her apartment building.
He got the piano almost to the top when he wrapped the clothesline around his arm for security but the heavy piano came down and lifted the OP up and flung him to the street when he hit the 14th floor and the rope broke. The piano does not sound as good now either.
On Fri 07 Jul 2017 11:38:11a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

I suspect he doesn't play it very well either.

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

What if he had had the gerbils helping? Maybe cushion the fall...
--
Tekkie

On 7/7/2017 5:05 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

He was using the gerbils as a counterweight. One of the jumped off to go pee and caused the piano to fall.
On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 2:38:18 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The driver of this passing car wasn't very happy either.
https://forums.finalgear.com/attachments/top-gear-2002-2015/top-gear-demotivators/452d1249052073-piano.jpg
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 07 Jul 2017 18:14:01 GMT, Peter Pond

If it weren't for the underscore, I'd think this was the thread I started years ago.

But what really gets me is that homemoaners never quote anything, so that their reply never makes any sense. Except for once, so I know it's possible to quote, which makes it worse.
"Either the guy is real dumb" BINGO!
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Try Chain hoist or rope pulley hoist...block and tackle, maybe...

Harbor Freight calls them a 'cable winch puller'
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/Displayitem_retail.taf?itemnumber0329
<< Anyone know? >>
Farmers and truckers have called them "load binders" for years. HTH
Joe
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Lever chain hoist. Or a cable hoist. Or chain puller.
Best regards, Bob

This is Turtle.
Real Dumb !
TURTLE
On Sun, 16 May 2004 01:23:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Its either a Whatsit or a Thing-a-ma-jig.
BB
I've always used the term chain block .

Try "hoist" the only name I've ever used is Come along....chain block to me means slightly different device....I have a wire-rope come along that I used for pulling engines thing is so old...still works
Terry