What to do about that crack at the side of the stairs.

When decorating I'm often asked if there is anything that I can do to stop the crack between the stairs stringer and the wall from re-appearing. I've always said not really, I'll rake it and fill it with caulk and it will look good when I walk out the door but it will come back in time. But now I've got a customer and I can tell that he's not really happy with that answer. Has anyone ever used a silicone bead for this? or anything else?

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Tell him that if he turns his heating off to minimise thermal movement, and stops using the stair to minimise mechanical movement, then the cracking will be much reduced :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

and maybe loses some weight?

Have the stair case mountings failed? Sometimes, the stringers are fixed to the walls.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On the staircases I have fitted I've rawlbolted the stringers to the wall. I hadn't thought they might be floating in the OP's case.

Perhaps a number of frame fixing screws/bolts might be a more permanent solution.

Reply to
Fredxx

Fredxx snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in news:q2nmjn$lrl$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Caulk is useless if there is any chance of movement. Would making an deliberate shallow groove be better than trying to fill it?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

+1. IME stringers are normally fixed to the wall unless they are deliberately spaced off by an inch or two.
Reply to
newshound

This one is a 1930's house, the underside is not accessible, it has been covered over. But I do wonder why they don't always fix the stringer to the wall.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Silicone won't take paint, ridgid fillers will fail. What do you mean by "caulk" flexible decorators caulk or something else?

With timber humidty causes much greater movement than temperature. Seems that this is a old staircase and may just be moving in use due to it's age and wear.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes I mean flexible decorators caulk. You paint over it and it's the paint that cracks. Often the caulk itself loses it's flexibility and curls at the edges.

I know that you can't paint over silicone. I am thinking of a bead that is applied after decorating much as you would around a kitchen worktop. I have seen new beech skirting boards fitted in an office and the gap between the skirting board and the wall filled with silicone.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

What about a bit of quad or decorative wood beading?

Reply to
FMurtz

The return on the wall at the bottom is rounded so a beading would have to start a few inches up from the bottom of the stringer but it is something that I would consider and will put it to the customer.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Chuckle.. There used to be some kind of sheet material for longer cracks that was glued in place but often the edges showed after a while so in the end I wonder if such movement is really able to be predicted and fixed. I guess you could tell him to go on a crack filling course and run it yourself!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've never used it where it's on-show, so don't know if it looks grubby over time, but it's lived up to other claims, I'd try CT1 as a sealing bead, but not paint over it to avoid the issue of paint cracking.

Andy Burns

In the 1930's fixing stuff to the wall meant a whole lot more than getting your electric drill out and making a few holes?

Reply to
GB

Even in the fifties it was a similar issue, our previous 1957 house had all the skirting and door cases nailed to wooden wedges inserted into chiselled out gaps in the mortar between bricks. As far as I know the staircase was only fixed to the joists. There was some evidence of an under stairs cupboard at one time removed by the previous owners which perhaps offered some additional support.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

So, you'd have to put the staircase in place, mark up where the wedges would go. Take the staircase down again .... Or some bloody careful measurements. Anyway, you can see why they didn't bother. :)

Reply to
GB

GB explained :

Quite right - likely either a Rawlbit and hammer, or a star drill and hammer for a larger fixing, plus a lot of time. That persisted through to the 1960's..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Fix the beading to the wall but leave a 2mm gap between the bottom of it and the top of the stringer. Then explain to the customer that shadow gaps really are the thing to have at the moment ;) !!

Reply to
Davidm

flush it

Reply to
tabbypurr

+1 1905 house here and the skirting was nailed into wooden wedges inserted into the mortar gaps.

The structure in the boxed in section under my stairs definitely gives much extra support. Over that past 100 years the wooden wedges holding the stairs tightly together dried out and either started dropping out or became lose. I had to get in and knock these wedges further in and provide some extra support with some thick wooden bracing.

Reply to
alan_m