Crack in chimney top...

High all

My chimney is a masonry chimney made of good quality white bricks thoughout. At the top is a cement cap, maybe 6 inches think,where its rounded over into the flue rain guards. That cement top is cracked on one side, with a gap of maybe 1-2mm for about 1 foot. I was considering just filling it with either silicone or regular caulking. And tips? Metal strap required? Ignore it? It doesn't look like its about to crumble or anything.

Thanks!

Dean

Reply to
dean

When water gets in and freezes, it will make the crack worse. Just fill the gap with anything that will last such as the silicone caulk and you will be OK.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Either that or look in one of the BBS (big box stores) for a small container of cement "patch" (comes in different brands).....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Yeah ok. Chimney guys told me to use something today that I don't remember what it was. I said silicone and they frowned at that, but that's probably still what I'll use.

Thanks all,

Dean (ps that part is called the crown, as I found out today!)

Reply to
dean

"dean" wrote in news:1130957240.442713.256520 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I used grout a few years ago. It's still holding up today.

Reply to
GoHabsGo

I'd be inclined to use polyurethane caulk...it sticks better to mortar and the good stuff is rated for 50 years. I used it to caulk the joint between some stone stair treads and the brick risers. After a couple of days I tried to remove a little section to redo it neater and I could *not* get it out; it just would not separate from either the stone or the brick, no matter how I pulled it or pried it. The stuff I bought was colored to match concrete (not that it really matters on a chimmeny cap).

They've started carrying it at the big box stores round here (OH).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Sounds good! Thanks.

Reply to
dean

I had my chimney crowns fixed a number of years ago. The mason used a cement or mortar mix to fill the cracks and top off the existing mortar. He alsoput in a fiberglass fibers additive to strengthen it against cracking. I would also use a latex additive to your mix.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Mitton