Resurface Chimney Crown

It's got cracks, chips, minor pcs fallen out. What would you folks use?

I saw some stuff at the Borg but didn't look carefully. Thought it was a Sakrete product but don't see it on their site. Said it was a vinyl cement resurfacer. Had the word vinyl on it. I'm thinking vinyl=>plastic=>water resistance.

Reply to
Red Green

Fire place guy did mine with something like this. Looked like a paste. I defer to younger guys to climb on my roof these days ;)

Reply to
Frank

chip carefully and remove the old, then replace the cap with mortar mix.

refinishing can lead to future cracks, espically around ther ceramic liner.

in our case it cracked, water got in and froze, the ceramic liner broke and fell in blocking the hot water tanks chimney.

we got bad carbon monoxide poisioning, fortunately a buddy stopped to visit, recognized the symptoms, he is a volunteer fireman and had been a EMT.

saved all our lives.

the bad thing about chimney caps is they cant be seen from ther ground

Reply to
bob haller

bob haller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e38g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

Appreciate the reply but...

Not totally sure what to use but I do know mortar is NOT the thing for a crown.

From a reprinted article

"In fact, most sand and mortar crowns crack almost immediately after installation because of shrinkage."

Reprinted with permission from the Chimney Safety Institute of America,

Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@e38g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

They should be made of concrete instead of mortar and there should be a gap between the crown and flue liner which is caulked. A good chimney sweep will inspect this for you and maybe even recaulk it as part of the job. I had mine redone about 10 years ago. The origonal had been made with mortar mix and had begun to crumble. The guy built a form around the top of the chimney and filled it with concrete. The resulting crown had a decorative edge(double cove) and over hung the edge of the chimney by an inch or so. Cost was about $300. I thought this was reasonable. I havent had to recaulk it yet.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE