Repair or remove chimney?

Our chimney has deteriorated quite a bit over the years (we've been here only 10 years - house was built 1915). It appears a few decades ago somebody put a coat of mortar over the whole exterior and painted it with a silver colored substance. That has since cracked and pieces have chipped off over the years (I've found several chunks in the yard while mowing). 3 years ago we had a new furnace put in that required a sleeve and they installed a galvanized sheet metal cap over the chimney, which comes down the sides about 4-6". It has never leaked since we've been here.

My thinking is I need to have the chimney fixed up prior to the roof being redone so no damage is done to the new roof. I was thinking maybe I could get by with either having it rebuilt from roof level up or preferably to just remove the chimney to below roof level (it is in the middle of the house) so only the metal sleeve comes out of the roof (for the furnace/water heater, no fireplace). I assume that is all they do when a new gas furnace is installed when no chimney exists. Is that practical?

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
Michael Ray

If the only purpose for the chimney is the furnace/water heater, I would seriously consider the "sleeve concept. This assumes there are no appearance reasons for keeping it.

The potential problem that I see from your description is that the current metal sleeve is that it MAY only vent the furnace. If both are vented into the sleeve go for it and save about 1K$.

Depending on your location you might need to convert the existing sleeve to double-wall pipe to be "code compliant".

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I need to replace the facia all around the house. It is presently a pressed "paper" product that is falling apart.

My first thought was wood, but would a cememt board product such as Hardie (SP), or a plastic type product be better? How about hanging gutters on a cement or plastic product? Any problems there?

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Solly

"Colbyt" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

OK. They Y into the same flue at the base of the chimney.

I believe it already is since it was put in with our 80% furnace 4 years ago.

Sounds like I'll be removing the chimney top while they rip off the roof. Woohoo! I love tearing things down. :)

Reply to
Michael Ray