Options for chimney repair

Our house is 20 years old, and the base of the brick chimney attached to a fireplace has started to sink into the ground. About 2 feet off the ground is a 1/2 inch crack from where the base of the chimney has split from the top of the chimney.

Every estimate we have received to repair the chimney is about $10,000 which is not affordable right now. However, all of these estimates involve removing the old chimney and rebuilding a new one.

Are there any other options we can consider? The fireplace is gas-burning.

TIA!

Reply to
jamarconi

If the lower part of the masonry is dropping away from the upper masonry, the house is supporting the weight of the upper masonry. I doubt that it was intended to do that.

If the bottom is dropping away, the foundation and the soil supporting it are not capable of supporting even that small weight.

A gas fireplace does not require a masonry chimnery. A ventless gas fireplace requires no chimney.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

Considering it its gas, you have a couple of possible options. The existing chimney must be properly supported or it could become a hazard. It may be possible to fill the crack, but if the base is still sinking, that is not a real solution, but a temporary fix. Talk to someone that can give some advice on the footings or how to shore it up.

Once in place, you can consider a liner for the existing chimney so you will have no worries about cracks.

Is the chimney needed for appearance or is it in the back of the house where removing it is not a big deal? If removed, you can replace it with various metal chimneys. They sure do not look as good as a well made stone or brick chimney though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, Ed.

Definitely, if the OP sees the only future use of that chimney as vent for gas fireplace, and load-bearing is not certifiable for that chimney, they'd be insane to toss $10K for another load of bricks. Much better investment to dispose of it and remove all traces.

If the current fireplace requires chimney for draft, that deserves looking-at too. Direct-vent, or ventless. Meanwhile- hard-hat area.

John

Reply to
barry

If appropriate remove the chimney and replace it with a non brick vinyl sided chimney with a liner in it. It might just be time to side the whole house to match.

Reply to
tnom

You can get metal-prefab chimneys that will work for oil and even wood. The materials cost isn't any cheaper than masonry, and they're ugly as hell, but they don't weigh in the tons, so that may be another option to look at.

Reply to
Goedjn

Since it is gas burning, if is not already, you can just add a inner metal vent for a chimney and just use the chimney as decoration. As for the sinking, you will want to at least stop it where it is at now. You will need to support it and then get underneath it and pour the footer to it correctly. Usually 3 foot down and from 8 to 12" thick. I am assuming the footer for it is insufficient.

Reply to
borgunit