what are the ways to extend a fireplace chimney?

Hi all,

I have a downdraft problem in my fireplace. Horrible smell for days (!) after the fire has been finished.

The chimney guy I invited suggested that the chimney is to short. I tend to believe this since some people suggested the same thing in the past. The chimney is actually shorter than the house extension next to it.

The solution he offerred was to extend the chimney with bricks, 4 feet. The cost would be $4000.

I am wonderring whether I have less expensive options. Will a chimney pot work for example? Or is there a way to extend the brick chimney with stainless steel, copper, etc.?

Thanks for any advice.

Arkadiy

Reply to
Arkadiy

Code requires the top of the chimney to be 2' higher than any part of the roof within 10' (horizontal measurement).

I have no idea how big your chimney is, the complexity of the brickwork, ease of access (staging), what's under the chimney that might get damaged (specimen plants), etc., but four grand is a bit rich no matter where you are.

Chimney pots satisfy code and are a good solution. They're not terribly expensive, install quickly and certainly add something to the house.

RicodJour

"Arkadiy" wrote

Seems pricey, but extension is probably the best solution. Get another quote and ask about metal additions or pots on the top. Read more here

Ed Pawlowski

What us a chimney pot?

Reply to
hrhofmann