@#$ squirrels

OK, I would like to here a few practice solutions that work in keeping pesky squirrels out of a garden, also keep them from chewing on wiring ?

I live in a residential area so shooting is out of the question, Besides I shoot my 44 and I would have the police at my door in a second, Although would like to scare a few neighbors :)

I would like to have a few sane ideas before resorting to extreme measures.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
MC

this thread comes up weekly.

the smartest animal will win this battle. since your first reaction is to get the gun out, i suspect you will be fighthing a squirrel problem for a long time.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

In article , mwclarke1 @yahoo.com says... :) OK, I would like to here a few practice solutions that work in keeping pesky :) squirrels out of a garden, also keep them from chewing on wiring ? :) :) I live in a residential area so shooting is out of the question, Besides I :) shoot my 44 and I would have the police at my door in a second, Although :) would like to scare a few neighbors :) :) :) I would like to have a few sane ideas before resorting to extreme measures. :) :) Thanks in advance :) Live trap to catch the problem...garbage can full of water to eliminate the problem.

Reply to
Lar

This is the second "animal protection advocate" post I've seen from you in the last 5 minutes. Are you one of those tree-hugger wacko save-the-spotted-owl freaks, or what?

To the original poster - poison the little bastards, and/or use a BB gun.

Reply to
Dan C

Well, I hesitate to show you this because I like squirrels...but this might work for you.

Jim Ranieri

A couple of dogs or large cats should take car of the problem.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yeah, but then you have to worry about keeping the dogs or cats out of the garden. Cats think it's a litter box, and dogs think it's a cafeteria.

Doug Miller

Use combo approach---Pellet gun, Rat poision ground up and put in smuckers real peanut butter (not where kids, dogs, cats can get it), electric fence. cut bushes tree branches over house etc.

Reply to
Anonymous

CCI makes .22 ammo called CB's in shorts or longs. Either make no more sound than a pellet gun and have very short range. That said, there are a lot of people that would see you hang for shooting a squirrel, so one word of caution - neighbors -.

Reply to
G Henslee

Our large cat won't interrupt its snooze for squirrels.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Reply to
Len Shure

You've, OBVIOUSLY, never used these CB's then to make such a statement. Yea, they are quieter than a standard .22, but are still far louder than a pellet gun. They are, without question, as loud as a single firecracker - which will get attention of neighbors.

And as for range, what do you call short? A couple hundred yards? A thousand yards? They will easily travel this far with no obstructions. Hell, the CCI box even states 1.5 mile range.

And, don't forget that you can screw yourself very nicely if someone decides to get the law involved since many states have minimum distances that a gun can be fired from another dwelling (besides your own). 500' is common, but varies from state to state.

Reply to
Mark

I use them all of the time. Firecracker? Not QUITE.. But then maybe it's the hearing aid.

Reply to
G Henslee

When was the last time you changed the batteries in your hearing aid? Seems it's time...

Doug Miller

Doug,

I wasn't referring to -my- hearing aid, as I don't need one. Myob.

Reply to
G Henslee

Be aware that squirrels are game animals. The season for killing them is usually September through February. You will need a hunting license, squirrel-call, bow-and-arrows, camoflage, squirrel blind, maybe waders, decoys, retriever, and other gear.

The good news is that, because they are protected, the "ordinary rodent damage" exclusion in your homeowner insurance does not apply.

What all the above means is, whatever you do, don't tell anyone (except your insurance company).

Reply to
HeyBub

That's funny. I have had them in my house several times, and never once did one of them play any of my computer games......

Reply to
aprilfooler

Oh man that was funny !!!!!

Gave me a few ideas though.

Thanks MC

Reply to
MC

Well, Could use the .22 for the squirrels, The 44 may work on the nosy ne.....

Uh, Never mind.

Reply to
MC