Subject Author Posted Replies

I must have a ghost in the house
Just woken up to a buzzing sound (ooh err) and it turns out my hair cutters have just turned themselves on. They were on charge and a bit hot when I unplugged them. Nothing looks melted but I can...
13
13

Soldering iron flex
I've got a 25W Antex iron with, on the recommendations of those here, the silicone cable. A lot nicer to use than the standard flex I've always had before but, in the 18/24 months I've had it, I've...
66
66

OT: glyphosate
I'm seeing on twitter that Bayer has bought Monsanto, and that as a result Germany has suddenly decided that glyphosate is good for us instead of being evil.
13
13

One nuisance caller got through - BT8500
This morning the very first ever nuisance caller managed to get himself through the caller filter, in the two years since I installed them. Obviously from the Indian sub-continent asking about my...
16
16

DeWalt SDS drill repair or dump?
My DeWalt SDS drill turns but doesnt hammer. Someone siad there's a spring inside which I may have broken by pushing hard on the drill trying to drill down through concrete. Hpw easy are these things...
22
22

TOT household rubbish
No, curry's Indian and rice is Chinese. I was going to write "rice's Chinese" but that doesn't seem to look right.
151
151

Grooving concrete
Does anyone have experience of putting anti-slip grooves into worn concrete? The problem is in a livery stables with aisles about six feet wide between the boxes. I'm told they had grooves ground in a...
20
20

tap washer split in 2
Got a large water bill - my daily consumption was 500 litres/day more than previous bill. So started replacing tap washers ... found the culprit was the backyard garden tap. The end of the hose was...
3
3

DIY expenses and balance sheet for a Will
Maybe doesnt sit properly in this newsgroup but it is DIY. Does anyone on here have experience of accounts with reference to finalising a balance sheet for a Will, specifically to do with expenses.
19
19

OT: Why can't a petrol engine start itself?
On Wednesday, 28 March 2018 00:25:00 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Many of mine have required prolonged periods of foot to the floor just for normal to sluggish driving. Consumer expectations...
181
181

Part P and house extensions
I am currently planning an extension to the house and whilst I will be gett ing a builder in to construct the shell I will be undertaking various other jobs myself. One of the DIY jobs will be the...
11
11

Kinetic remote/wireless light switches
I posted a while ago asking about kinetic light switches. Anyway, if anyone is interested, I got some of these, And i'm well chuffed with them. It's paining me that they are drawing 0.3W though, i'll...
3
3

Skanky insulation
I've been messing about in the ceilings in the upstairs flat at work this week, sorting some lighting out. There's insulation up there, looks like fibreglass stuff, some of it looks like it came on a...
5
5

OT - Saucepan handle
One handle is broken on our large saucepan, so I made a rather crude wooden handle and glued it to the lugs. Only then did my son tell me that this is the saucepan that goes in the oven, for stews. I...
15
15

OT - Ideal boilers (and boiler quality in general)
Just went round a couple of new developments purely to be nosey, and I noted that both (different developers with very different quality) had Ideal boilers in the show homes. Advice here seems to be...
3
3