saving money by using less leccy

When I take food out of the freezer I always let it unfreeze in the fridge, so that the fridge uses less electric.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That is the correct method to avoid food poisoning, anyway.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Doesn't everybody? Perhaps not. But it does take longer to thaw.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

OOI why? I know that you're not supposed to re-freeze stuff that's already been frozen once, although I've never bothered to find out why, and anyway, I'm still here even though I do it occasionally with no apparent ill effects.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I take mine out of the freezer the day before and stick it on a plate in the fridge. Chris!!!!!!! You may remember that I am (not) the gardening expert. I shoved some wild flower seeds into the front garden flower beds about 3 years ago. I had a dead good display. Last year was not too wonderful. Loads of white things. I've cut them down. Do you think that they will grow again this summer?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

If you thaw out frozen food by just placing it on a worktop, the outermost part will be well into the bacteria-growing temperature zone whilst the core is still frozen. OTOH, if you let it thaw in the fridge, you will protect every part of it from getting warm enough to grow bacteria quickly and it will all end up at a nice, safe ~+3'C uniformly.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Really, all half a p per year? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Bill, like myself, is in Yorkshire.

Reply to
ARW

Probably. They sound like perennials, but might just be biennials (grow one year, flower the next, set seed maybe, then die). It wouldn't do any harm to lightly break up the soil surface and scatter another packet or two of the same seeds as you used earlier.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Makes sense, thanks.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The why do you need a fridge? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Makes sense as long as you are the sort of person who never forgets to get the food out the day before. For the rest of us there is the microwave oven; a poor solution, especially for fish, but often the only one.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

to stop t' ferrets stealing t' milk

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Thanks.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

The is a service station on the M1. Barnsley. This is the most God forsaken service station that I have ever visited. I could sense the misery and the lack of hope.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Yes, I wonder about the cooking of partially-thawed food in the fridge, particularly that which could have bacteria on the inside (like mince and chicken). Seems to me there is just as much chance of a dodgy gut from that (as the inside starts too cool to get to a high enough temperature, as from food left to thaw outside the fridge, which might have too high a temperature on the outside as it thaws..

A bit OT, but a microwave oven does the best smoked haddock. Just put the thawed fish on a plate, cover with clingfilm (pierce in a few places), and for an 800w oven give 2.5 - 3 minutes for a 180g piece of fish. If you get it right it's cooked perfectly, and still moist on the outside.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

+1. Definately bad idea to thaw out meat/chicken at room temperature.

Also prevents the resident cat/dog from snaffling it.

Reply to
Andrew

There is not a M1 service station in Barnsley.

Reply to
ARW

Bad idea to allow clingfilm to come into contact with food while it is being heated.

Reply to
Andrew

In message <q2hq9p$l2c$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Cursitor Doom snipped-for-privacy@noreply.com writes

That does depend on the temperature outside the fridge (we're in Aberdeenshire, where we put the butter in the fridge to make it easier to spread), but more importantly, doesn't subsequent cooking or reheating kill the bacteria, assuming cooking or reheating thoroughly?

Reply to
Graeme