saving money by using less leccy

What on earth is that stuff about HMS Belfast's guns??

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes thats true, and the worse thing you can do is place it near heat to warm up.

Hopefully using the defrost on the microwave should be OK but I don't even do that now.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You can always use an alarm on a smartphone, then you have the problem of working out why the alarm is going off. If I do forget to take something out of the freezer, then I do take it out & I find something else to eat on that day and take the item out for the next day.

The only thing I use the defrost fuction for is to warm up plates now.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You share the same ferret(s), now that is kinky.

Reply to
whisky-dave

People shiver, cold dogs quiver

Reply to
Andrew

I stick one in the microwave set it to 1 min on defrost and the plate gets a bit warm. If I put it on full it gets too warm and can be difficult to carry, as in a bit to hot to carry.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Provided you're going to cook it properly and soon after defrosting I don't see any problem.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

If he uses completely non-conductive microwave-safe plates this will probably destroy the magnetron - or, as in my case, the window which must have had some conductive stains on it.

Even with the plates that get "slightly warm", putting them in without water is quite likely to damage the oven. Either get a combination oven or use a generous quantity of water.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Another recycled myth.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sorry, my story is true. I accidentally ran my small microwave oven with no RF absorbent material in it and the window between the magnetron and the oven burst into flames with a distinct bang and poured out acrid black smoke. There was distortion of the surrounding panel, and hole. So not reusable. OK, I don't know if this would have happened if the insides had been scrupulously clean, perhaps the magnetron would have just run at low current without a load. But it definitely happened.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

so no magnetron damage. Your mica window burnt because it had accumulated excessive dirt. This absorbed rf until the dirt caught fire. They need to be cleaned or this sometimes eventually happens.

I've fixed nukes worse than that. A straightforward job, though the cleanup is not quick. The hole is the waveguide between cooking cavity & megnetron.

It does. But the claim that running an oven empty can kill the magnetron is an old myth. Even the first domestic nuke, the Amana Radarange, didn't suffer that problem. The solution of that was one of the things that made domestic ovens possible.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not that I know of.

I usually put them in the top section of the cooker, the grill if I;m not using it, the oven below keeps the plates warm.

I assume due to the fact that in my kitchen and in the microwave there is a level of humididy i.e water in the air.

I suggest you try running your microwave empty, I'm pretty sure you'll find that it gets warm.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I don't care.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Maybe that;s why they say use a microwavable plate, rathe rthan just the tunrtable. I heard you shouldn't run microwave ovens empty, maybe that's why my Hitachi one I bought in 1988 only lasted until ~2011. My present ones seems OK.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No, quite true.

Reply to
harry

Umm we used to wet the plates but haven't bothered for years. Stoneware plates so likely to be porous.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

How do you tell which?

Reply to
Jim K..

Every tinkle helps...

Reply to
Jim K..

How does that work then?

Reply to
Jim K..

Porous plates?

I sprinkle a bit of water on plates, stack em & put em on full power for 30 secs.

How is your plate getting warmed?

Reply to
Jim K..