Virgin or not virgin?

Situation. My neighbour who has home phone and tv, has had several phone calls saying they were from virgin but with completely incomprehensible English saying a new box was coming. She told them they had only replaced her box recently but they rang off. They then rang her to say they were delivering it in two hours, she said she had to go out. She got back to find a sizable box in her front garden with welcome to the party on the top and virgin media, ready to be installed and her name on the side. She has no idea what it is or why its come. In the meantime, I'm with Virgin and turn my mobile on which is normally off or muted, to find a whole string of messages from some crowd sounding something like Yodel you new kit is coming your new kit will be here tomorrow, then one from Virgin media, or is it.. about it then one saying you were not in we left it with a neighbour which is rubbish I've been here all day. No neighbour in on one side other neighbour is the lady I referred to before, so goodness knows where it is if indeed it is at all. However I rang virgin and they went off and told me nothing had been sent out at all. So this parcel next door is from Virgin, and one must possibly assume I have one as well probably in somebody's garden down the road. Who knows. I see only two reasons. 1. Virgin have no idea what they are doing

  1. all of this is some kind of scam. At any rate Virgin are aware of the situation with me, but not my neighbour, she has brought the package in and decided to wait for Virgin to sort it.

What a complete mess. It says apparently on the box something about a superior home phone system. I was wondering if they are starting to roll out the voip virgin phone system. I do hope not as I cannot see that its going to be possible since she has no broadband.

Has anyone any idea of what is actually going on. The ball is firmly in Virgins court now as if its a scam they know about it, and if its genuine they have a communication breakdown. After all the police advice on this is not to call numbers on texts or emails, use the number you know, and if they do not know anything about it, then assume a scam. However knowing Virgin, I'm just as inclined to think its them making a c*ck up as per usual. Since my neighbour has no mobile and I have a call screener, and a mobile not normally turned on the least they could have done is rang my home phone and use the screener properly or sent me an email surely?

Its like some kind of sit com.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hide all the parcels. Sit back and prepare to say "Parcels, what parcels?".

Reply to
newshound

In article <q2hqv9$sus$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

Oh I thought Adam had got himself a female apprentice.

Reply to
bert

Well I have no parcel! I only have the texts! My neighbour has a a parcel, but has no idea why.

If it is Virgin then the least they could do is employ somebody with the ability to speak English and indeed a delivery firm who can tell the difference between house numbers and not send details via text that do not say what it is. If nobody else has had any of this crap, then if its a scam, I simply cannot see what sort it might be?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well I used to have a rather crude working colleague, now no longer with us, who whenever you mentioned women said, nah, can't be doing with them they are all the same when you turn them upside down.

It was I think his sense of humour. I did point out that it was actually not the case. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Are not they changing all the boxes over so that you can still get the full service? A couple of months ago the box my mother has had for possibly 10 years was replaced with a new Virgin Tivo box. This was meant to be self install but my mother played the little old lady technophobe card and a few days later a Virgin technician turned up, installed the box and gave a basic teach in on its operation.

Reply to
alan_m

Virgin has been bugging me to get a new version cable box for a while now, I don't know why they can't just send me the damn thing to plug in, but no I have to click on a button somewhere ... and now that I can be bothered I can't find the bloody thing.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Probably to make sure you commit to a new minimum contract period.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That did cross my mind, it's the sort of behaviour I expect but I'm pretty sure the offer said accepting the upgrade wouldn't affect my account. But as I can't find either the letter or email about it I may never find out.

Reply to
Rob Morley