Saving money by using less electricity

On Friday I visited a friend who had strings of decorative LEDs in the living room. Because of the increases in electricity prices she was running them from AA cells. Bill

Reply to
wrights...

That old chestnut...... Does she not realise that electricity is used to make the electrolyte, the anode, the cathode, the seperator, print a colour label, create all the packaging and of course the electricity needed to recycle the cells at EOL?

Its *still* cheaper to power with electricity than it is by battery

In addition, electrochemistry is not a 100% efficient conversion.

Reply to
SH

... about the most expensive source of electricity available. (Except for nuclear batteries)

Reply to
Animal

Clearly she doesn’t.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Makes good sense if she doesn't pay for the AAs.

Reply to
Robin

To save using the 15W wall or 15W ceiling lights in my main living room I purchased a mini up-lighter that is fitted with a 1W GU10 LED mains bulb. It provides a surprising good amount of light. I can just about read a book with the light with some eye strain :). I do however have (off) white walls and ceiling.

Reply to
alan_m

I see, so that makes sense then? Perhaps AAs are bought by a different budget. She should be part of the Government, they are always trying to make savings by moving the problem to another department. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Cheaper than night time solar panels?

Reply to