Disable deadlocking mechanism?

I needed to buy a Yale 89 night latch in a hurry, to replace a broken one. The only one available was one with a deadlocking facility. This is the only exit from a flat, so it's possible somebody could get locked in. Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the deadlock on one of these?

Reply to
GB

If it is the only exit, then it is the only way in. You can only deadlock it from the outside. But would a person leaving someone inside normally deadlock it? Theoretically possible, not much risk if sensibly managed. I suppose for a couple where one has dementia and is paranoid about locking up, it might not be a good idea.

Reply to
newshound

Surely there's a knob on the inside for deadlocking (and unlocking) on the inside?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It's not just theoretically possible, it's possible and will happen, and is a hazard. Don't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No. It's for glass doors (which this isn't). You turn the key on the outside, and it locks the whole mechanism inside the lock. I was just thinking there might be a small lug or something that can be removed inside the lock mechanism that stops this. I've emailed Yale, but it's unlikely they'll help.

Otherwise, I'll have to buy a new lock, which is annoying but not the end of the world.

Reply to
GB

I thought deadlocks only protected against incoming not outgoing people using it? Mine has a button but however, it does say do not mount near an easy to break window or panel.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not much use with a glass panel? Surely a deadlock means my nature it cannot be opened without a key?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well *one* almost perfect solution would be to ensure there is only single key available, attached to a large tag saying "Do Not Deadlock If Someone is Inside". With a backup, not being used, hung somewhere like inside an airing cupboard, with an equally large tag.

Reply to
newshound