Fitting a night latch from scratch

I'm looking for some info on fitting a Night Latch to our front door. I reckon this is probably the most appropriate group to ask (Well my first searches kept on giving me articles from the misc.kids.breastfeeding newsgroup!!)

At the moment we just have a chubb lock which is fine but it means anybody can just walk up to the front door and come in (unless we keep it locked during the day). The Missus wants another lock on the door and I think what she means is a "Night Latch", i.e. some thing you can open from the inside without a key. Is this the right thing?

I've had a look in my screwfix magazine and they've got a "Traditional" one and a "Deadlocking" one - although I'm not one hundred percent sure of the difference.

Also, are the Screwfix night latches any good or should I go down to B&Q and get a Yale one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

A deadlocking one allows you to lock it with a key from the inside and/or outside, to prevent you opening it by just twisting the knob on the inside.

i.e. when you leave the house and go out, you deadlock it, so someone who punches through the window just above the lock can't put their hand through and open it.

Reply to
AJB

A front door nightlatch should comply with BS3621:1980. There are only a few designs about. The vast majority do not comply with this standard and should not be used. Anything short of BS3621:1980 is purely for show and can't be relied on for the main front door lock.

I would recommend the Yale PBS1/2 over the Chubb 4L67E, as it looks nicer and doesn't require the bolt to be withdrawn before slamming. Bizarrely, B&Q are selling the brass bodied version of the PBS1/2 for actually a very cheap price (£55). They sell it even cheaper than the horrible grey painted version. The PBS1 has a 60mm backset, and the PBS2 has a 40mm backset. Go for the former, unless you must have the 40mm version. The backset is measured from the edge of the door to the centre point of the key escutcheon.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The purpose really is to aid convenience and prevent us:

1) Having to keep the chubb lock unlocked during the day (someone can just walk into the house) 2) Having to keep the chubb lock locked during the day (pain in the a*se to unlock it everytime you want to answer the door)

Not to prevent some nutter breaking in.

Bizarrely, B&Q

painted

backset. Go

Oh, I was being a bit naive - =A355 was more than I was expecting. Will need a chrome version - perhaps I should have a look round the sheds - screwfix hasn't got any Yales, just some Legges at =A319 and =A350

thanks for the advice Christian

Reply to
Charlie

It's up to you. The PBS1/2 can be used instead of the Chubb if you lock the handle at night or have an unglazed door. It is fully insurance approved. Therefore, if you have a BS3621:1980 exclusion on the insurance, they'll still pay out if you forgot to set the Chubb (unless you didn't lock the handle and had a glass door and they took advantage of this to smash the window and reach round).

The PBS1/2 is also quite a nice looking substantial lock, and has a very convenient handle shape that is a pleasure to use.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Oh, I was being a bit naive - £55 was more than I was expecting. Will need a chrome version - perhaps I should have a look round the sheds - screwfix hasn't got any Yales, just some Legges at £19 and £50

I have fitted 12146 from Screwfix for the same reason as you. The external porch door has a 5 lever mortice look, but we like to leave it open during the day when we are at home. The night latch keeps the inner door to the hall "locked" and the kids can't quite reach it!

I contemplated a proper Yale lock, but decided as it wasn't directly for extra security £15.49 would do the trick. It was a piece of cake to fit.

Reply to
Doctor D

Can you slam the door shut with this latch?

Reply to
Charlie

you'll need a 32mm holesaw.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I'd definitely go for one to the same BS as a good five lever mortice lock.

This will be an automatic deadlock with the ability to stop it being opened from the inside without a key - same as a mortice lock.

Not cheap, but should give the same security as your mortice lock.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More important a latch with auto deadbolt cannot be slipped open with a card from the outside.

Reply to
DJC

Thing is, many opportunist burglars will get in through a window, etc, but want to make off through the front door with the bounty. Leaving a house via the front door with whatever doesn't look strange. Leaving via a window with a TV, etc, under your arm does. So making it impossible for a burglar to open the front door from inside without a JCB *might* just help.

But it's only a theory.;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good point - will bare that in mind.