Subject Author Posted Replies

Stuck lock...
Neighbour asked for help today. Or rather the sister of that neighbour. They're French. Neighbours (husband and wife) are in France. Sister house sitting - presumably because of the two teenage kids...
83
83

Underfloor heating question
I only have the bare bones of this from my daughter at present. She has new "wet" underfloor heating laid. The tiller was laying floor tiles on the screed,, and cut through the tubing (angle...
13
13

Gas leak detected and fixed, should I make efforts to clear gas out?
I have just detected a (small) gas leak on my boat using the Alde bubble leak detecter I installed a while ago. I have fixed the leak, just a compression fitting on a tap needed a tweak. It was a very...
36
36

Central Heating
A mate has heating problems. He had a powerflush 2 years ago which didn't fix it. He had a contract with Scottish Power and all they can do is offer to fit a new pump despite his pump being onto 2...
22
22

HP Replacement laptop Batteries supplier recommendations?.
Very much as it says anyone any recommendations for decent laptop battery suppliers?. Seen prices for the one i want from 12 odd quid to 108! Must be a decent price performance medium in there...
16
16

DIY Alarms/PIRs/Cats
I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and the problem of their cat occurred to me. While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR, the layout of their house...
30
30

DIY networking - heads up on Ubiquity
Just redone my core network and WiFi plus experimenting with IP cameras: I've got their 16 port PoE+, controller "dongle" and WiFi AC-Pro access point (3xMIMO radios) and I have to say, I am...
15
15

TOT Generation game
OMG they have resurrected the generation game. It was crap and amateur hour TV and well past its sell by date when the BBC last canned it. Why do the BBC medja experts believe that after period of...
43
43

Cleaning Sandstone
What would be the best method to get white emulsion off rough split sandstone and the mortar (cement not lime) joints? The wanted end result being visible clean stone and mortar. There is only about 1...
16
16

Soldering metal - lamp shade repair
If it is plastic, you will have problems with that melting. I thought these things were sometimes some sort of shell. Given that the repair shouldn't be particularly visible, I'd be inclined to use a...
17
17

Need a chimney
I have an external structure I?m using to House my smoker. The roof is 20mm plywood (shed felt on outside) ... I really need to put in a chimney to allow free flow out of smoke ... a 2? pipe would be...
6
6

OT Thunderbird keeps switching to US dictionary
As per title. Anyway to make it stop?
13
13

Roof woes ... (fingers X'd ...)
So last November, we sprung a leak from our roof (let's ignore the "warranty" it came with in 2014). A trek up (thank god for bungalow) trying to match the underside trail to above singled out the...
1
1

Gas consumption, CH versus no CH
Whilst our boiler has been inoperative, we have had to make do with just the living room radiant gas fire. With door closed, it is more than warm enough on 1/3 of its 3 bars lit, but the rest of the...
22
22

Question for Dyson fans: filters
[This is addressed to fans of Dysons ... Dyson knockers: nothing for you here!] I've had a DC25 for 3.5 years now, and very happy with it (I had a DC01 for nearly 20 years, before that.) I clean the...
7
7