attn: news.individual.net users

In particular one using a gmail addy ...

WTF can't I reply to your posts ? It's only you - something somewhere is putting a CR/LF in the "References" header field which is causing either ES, or PAN to throw a wobbly and refuse to post.

Annoyingly it doesn't seem to trip an error, so I type a response, just to see it disappear ?

I have examples of the malformed (?) headers and can post if it helps.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Not me then

Looking at my own postingsl I don't see any incorrectly wrapped headers (I do see a correct continuation header)

You might need to ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

body (unexpected byte or empty content line)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

But you've obfuscated the header you claim is mangled, so we can't see whether you, or your reader mangled it, or if it looks good

Reply to
Andy Burns

Anyway, assuming you were trying to reply to Brian's reply to Tim Downie?

The references: header is not mangled as far as I can see, it seems your client is wrapping it at the hyphen

Reply to
Andy Burns

again, there's a LF in the references field ...

30 years ago I would have just modified the code for PAN, but given USENET is slowly fading, it would be "like fitting wheels to a tomato" :)
Reply to
Jethro_uk

Everything's public here ...

which Pan has put there, the LF before 1101416589 is ok, because the line begins with whitespace, but the LF before gmail is not ok, pan seems to have inserted it thinking it needs to wrap the hyphenated "downie-gmail"

The original headers in Tim's message are fine

Reply to
Andy Burns

Aha ...

PAN not understand the RFC for email addys I can easily believe. I bet some numpty has rolled their own in the code...

I wonder if I can now set up something to test and prove it

Many thanks

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yes seen this as well though not actually looked into why, just tend to ignore it and move on and delete it from my outbox. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think I found es would not always post those, but sometimeas ao and sometimes albersani would but then if you use the latter it only accepts one newsgroup and if there are more needs a follups to in the header to post. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe Andy has hit on something and it's hyphenated (gmail ?) addresses ?

If I can be bothered, I'll set up some to test ... I wonder if the test usenet groups are still around ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk