Subject Author Posted Replies

Minimum gradient of bath/washbasin waste pipe
Our bath/washbasin waste pipe emerges through the wall and then, via an elbow, goes very slightly *uphill* for a run of a couple of feet, before another elbow joint connects to a vertical pipe to...
7
7

Downlighter hole damage
I've some downlighters set into a plasterboard ceiling and the wire springs which hold them in place have damaged the plasterboard. How do I repair the holes? Are there any inserts available that...
11
11

O.T. A question for rail enthusiasts
I'm interested to know the purpose of these things found on the walls of station platforms? I wonder if they are something to do with gradients but there are so many of them and they seem adjustable...
15
15

Anyone - Surplus Sunvic SDM 1901 actuators
Still looking for one of these please, if any of you CH engineers might happen to remove one, whilst swapping to perhaps a combi system... I have altered my heating system from using a SD 2701 (for...

Horizontal pipe, unsupported length?
How long can a horizontal section of unsupported clay pipe be before it snaps? It carries rainwater, so is never anything like full, 99% of the weight would be itself. 4 inch diameter.
12
12

Mould Removal After Leak
Hello, I unfortunately discovered a leak behind the sink in one of my bathrooms the other day. The water has had time to soak the floor where it couldn't be seen and also flow to an adjacent bedroom...
10
10

UK mains plug sleeved pins - pointless
Just pushed a plug into the wall, the lamp came on at the point where I couldn't possibly get my fingers round the back (or a child's fingers - the gap is about 5mm). So er.... why bother with the...
42
42

Source of small metal sheet about 1.2 mm thick
Having a potential strategy to make up a small plate to fix the broken caravan locker mechanism, I now need to source some metal. The existing components are nice steel and roughly 1.2 mm thick, so...
23
23

Immersion Thermostat
Called to look at my daughter's hot water today. Found the thermostat safety trip had cut off the power. They said it had been scalding hot and they tended to switch it off to prevent it overheating!...
5
5

Locking out continuously
Danesmoor 15/19 runs for about 7 mins then locks out, restarts OK but every time locks out again, running for less and less time between lockouts. The engineer failed to turn up twice so will look for...
6
6

Wireless doorbell with plugged in 13 Amp chime.
Can't give any opinion about that make, but we bought a cheap wireless doorbell (two receivers) and regretted it. The receivers ate batteries - each had two AAs, and they lasted about 6 - 8 weeks....
34
34

bath/shower diverter valve "O" ring ?
For a while now, the shower diverter valve in the bath tap has been sticking in the shower position - with "hilarious" results ... Finally, with all plumbing tools at hand for another job, I decided...
5
5

Glue for glass to metal?
No use. The right thing is to go to a car parts shop and see if they still stock the UV curing adhsive that was used to stick the catches onto quarterlights and make sure that it is exposed to...
59
59

Rippig BD > DVD
Some DVD DRM endoded shit can only be circumvented by recording what VLC produces using VLCS recod facility. VLC is better at cracking DRM than handbrake.
29
29

BMC A Series oil warning light
Unless you've had mice ;-) the most likely thing is it has frayed going through the bulkhead, etc. But car electrics are odd things - have a habit of defying logic.
7
7