RIP: David Peacock FIET

Just seen in another place; I don't think it's been mentioned here:
https://www.theiet.org/membership/member-news/member-news-2019/david-peacoc k-fiet-july-1947-november-2018/
IET members may be aware of his efforts to improve general and domestic ele ctrical safety through his extremely thoroughly researched campaigns, Fatal ly-Flawed and Plugsafe. Their aims are to have unregulated socket covers an d non-conforming and counterfeit 13A plugs and adapters removed from sale a nd use in the UK.
Owain

Completely justified. In our Village Hall I had to change 2 power sockets since they didn't make proper contact with plugs - having had the terminals forced apart by "Safety plugs".
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Just curious. Why would one of those safety plugs be any worse for that than an ordinary plug?
--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

Dave Plowman wrote:

Wrong width, length, position, shape of pins e.g.
<
http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/assets/images/Model11D.jpg

because they aren't made to any particular tolerance. Often, to get the strength on a plastic 'pin' they are oversize and distort the socket into which they are plugged. When you fit a real plug it doesn't make good contact anymore, resulting in arcing. Certainlt that what I found in our Village Hall where the local playgroup fitted them.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Certainlt that what I found in our

Try telling "baby orientated" mothers that such stuff (that feeds a paranoia) is not needed! There is a feel good factor in spending cash on such things!

Quite.
--
*If a thing is worth doing, wouldn't it have been done already?

On 12/02/2019 12:40, DerbyBorn wrote:

Give them the electricians bill for replacing all the sockets they damaged, and they will soon feel different! ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
I'm surprised they were not just sitting at home filing the bits down to fit. Brian
--
----- --

Ah - OK. I've never looked at one. So it can be made accurately enough to be inserted, but so badly it damages the contacts.
--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

yes. Basically too big.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 12/02/2019 14:37, charles wrote:

Many have the wrong profile on the pins such that they can snag on entry and bend the terminals rather than pushing them aside as they pin is supposed to.
--
Cheers,

John.
But why have them at all? Sockets are shuttered. I know if i want to bodge a europlug into the 13A socket I need just the right sized knitting needle to operate the shutter on the earth pin to let it in..... grin :-)
Brian
--
----- --
snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk says...

Worse than that, Dave. Never underestimate the infenuity of children. A clever child can use the so-called safety cover to open the shutters and render the socket dangerous:
http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/assets/images/autogen/Exposed . gif
or https://tinyurl.com/unsafecover
Now, if they can find anything around that is metalic, they can continue their own investigation into why these things can be lethal ...
--

Terry

Not surprising given that injection moulding of plastic isn’t as accurate as with metal pins with thickness.
What do you mean by safety plug? I've seen those with a wider bit on the earth pin are those what you mean?
Those are meant for special uses. I still have adaptors without shrouded pins, and to be honest with no children here its impossible to touch them . Brian
--
----- --
On Tuesday, 12 February 2019 17:57:18 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

You might drop a knife or some metal foil or some wire, and might grab for it without realising that it was touching the live non-shrouded pin of an ancient and incompletely inserted plug.
--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |

And you might get a shock, but the chances of that doing any harm is very small. You're 67.92% more at risk walking to the shop to buy a new adaptor. Probably.
Cheers
--
Clive

Perhaps why there is the habitual plug thumper.
On 11/02/2019 23:34, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

What's a 'socket cover'? TW