RIP: David Peacock FIET

On 12/02/2019 09:55, TimW wrote:

Mumsnet comforting device :-|
--
Adrian C

On 12/02/2019 10:05, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

I've seen the things you get from Mothercare to stop babies sticking teaspoons in sockets. I've see the sockets with flaps in front like you get when they are set into the floor. I don't see why anyone should campaign to have them banned, either of them. Is it maybe something else? TW
[snip]

http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/
TimW wrote:

His argument was that 13A sockets/plugs were *designed* safe and don't need such covers.
Some of them make it possible to insert metal objects into the live pins, which is impossible without the 'safety' covers
Others of them damage the socket contacts, making poor contact and overheating more likely when the 'safety' covers have been remnved
<http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk
I do seem to remember his argument had some detractors here, but I can't remember on what grounds?
Love to see some figures on how many lives or injuries have been saved by fitting those dummy plugs.
--
*Re-elect nobody

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Why should any have been saved? Have you tried inserting a teaspoon in a 13A socket as someone suggested above?

You'd need two to do any damage, since all sockets are shuttered. Good luck finding a toddler with that death wish.
--
*My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.

By definition it’s impossible to know that.

Some figures for toddlers hurt or whatever by pushing something into a socket would be a start.
--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat*

Unlikely that many of those would be reported to anyone.

One opinion is that as all UK sockets are required to be shuttered, they are pretty damned safe to push something into - unlike when dummy plugs are fitted and toddlers can pull them out, turn them 180° and re-insert the "earth" pin part way, leaving the live and neutral shutters wide open! We've probably all used a rotated plug in that way to open the shutters and plug a shaver in in an emergency.
I am pretty sure that MK sockets didn't (don't?) use the earth pin method and instead used a rotary shutter, operated directly by the ramps on it, by the neutral and live pins themselves.
SteveW
On 13/02/2019 22:37, Steve Walker wrote:

Do the regerlations allow that?
--
Max Demian

On 13/02/2019 22:50, Max Demian wrote:

Yes.
I must admit that my memories of BS1363-2 are now sketchy, but I used to know it well, as my father sat on the committee revising it in the late '80s and I typed many of the changes and even suggested clearer wording for some sections.
SteveW
On 14/02/2019 00:23, Steve Walker wrote:

Indeed. In fact many of the modern designs need pressure from all three pins, with the right chamfer profiles etc to open the shutters these days.

Drop me an email, I may know where you could get a copy if required.
--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm wrote:

A reminder to everyone that Lancashire library service (they use a snail mail sign-up process) provides access to a decent selection of the BSOL documents ... although using an old Manchester library ID on the Lancashire page also works.
On 13/02/2019 22:50, Max Demian wrote:

I presume so as that type of socket has been around for decades...
--
Email does not work

On 14/02/2019 07:45, Tim Watts wrote:

Handy for two pin Europlugs (if they are still around).
--
Max Demian

On 14/02/2019 12:46, Max Demian wrote:

Only if you like sloppy fitting mains connections. You may as well use an ebay deathdapter.
On 13/02/2019 22:37, Steve Walker wrote:

You can't do that on a compliant socket. Some cheap and nasty Chinese junk has a very narrow top that allows it, they are probably dangerous in many ways.

The old ones did, the new ones require the earth pin and the ramps to operate.

Having waded though many of the stats available I have found its very difficult to get any meaningful stats - especially on injuries from electrical accidents. Fatalities you can get a bit more of a handle on, but there are so few of them to tell you much. ISTR there were some stats on electrical injuries requiring hospital treatment (I have posted links in the past)
--
Cheers,

John.