Recliner foot rest locks in place but won't lock when I recline it just rocks

I have a lazy boy recliner. It's about 10 years old. When I pull back the handle the foot rest comes out and locks but when I lean back and try to get the foot rest to lock in a higher position it wont lock it just goes up and down. Very frustrating because I love this chair. Any advice???

Reply to
Joyce