Avery Berkel scales question

I have a set of the above scales (see image) Does anyone have any knowledge of them as I would like to disconnect the top part, the small display unit. I can get it off ok and it is connected by a similar connector to a telephone connection, the problem is though when I disconnect it the main weighing display on the actual scales then dont work. Being ex post office I suspect the 2 displays were electronically connected so customer and staff could both see the weight. I dont have sufficient knowledge to mess too much with them so only asking in case there is an easy fix.

ss

Have you tried googling with the model number for a service manual?

It is hardly surprising that the two displays are connected. I understand that you might want to move the upper display for some sort of access reasons, but it is almost certainly easier to leave it electrically connected and tuck it somewhere out of the way.

Reply to
newshound

Yes to no avail for that model.

Yes but it does get in the way it will weigh up to 30 kilo so the boxes can be large and the secondary diplay gets in the way on ocassion, I need to centre some boxes on the scales so it overhangs on all sides. Its just a nuisance but doesnt stop me using it.

Reply to
ss

What Newshound is suggesting is removing the second display from the top of the pole, and pulling the cable through. Then tape the display to the base, out of the way, and connect it up again. Seems worth a try to me.

Reply to
GB

I have already done variations of that, sometimes I have to move the scales to the floor as I cant quite lift the heavier boxes up to the height required so that why I was hoping to do a permanent disconnect which would make life easier.

Reply to
ss

I suspect that connection of the second display was originally compulsory to reduce possible fraud by counter staff.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes with the displays facing opposite ways. The secondary display is not required for home use, I may just open it up and see whats in there although for my electronic knowledge I would be as well looking at a bowl of spaghetti.

Reply to
ss

then forget it, unless you have some electronics skill you're not going to succeed.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

So mangle the riser & just leave the top display on the bench but still connected?

Reply to
Jim K..