Disposal of roofing felt

This isn't strictly about DIY but here goes.
A contractor has quoted me a large figure for the job of replacing the currently felt-covered flat roof over my garage and part of the house, to include ?1400 for disposal of the felt that will be removed before fibre glass is put on.
I queried this figure and he said the felt is considered to be a hazardous material. It seems he's right, even if the attendance of teams of guys wearing chemical warfare suits won't be required.
But ?1400? The area is about 7 metres x 7 metres.
How can I make some sort of check on what the disposal costs will be?
Thanks,
Harry
On 11/02/2019 10:42, Harold Davis wrote:

Check with your local council? https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/residents/environment-and-planning/waste-and-recycling/household-waste/diy-waste-charges
I recently helped my neighbour to dismantle a carport with a felt roof. Som e of it went in a skip we had that was partially filled and the rest we dis posed of at our local recycling centre taking it down in his fathers traile r. Neither the skip company or the attendants at the recycle centre batted an eyelid and we were observed and they were aware of what was being dispos ed off. Sounds like a nice little earner for the roofing company.
Richard
Often companies get shafted by local authorities as they consider they will have a lot of whatever it is. It is probably cheaper to get it off and take it to the tip yourself a bit at a time. Brian
--
----- --

Or the roofing company gets treated differently at the dump they have to use.
Wrote in

Thanks everyone.
I rang the council's landfill centre and they quoted me about ?170 per tonne if I bring it in myself. I also looked at websites of a few places that sell roofing felt, and it seems that the weight is about 2kg per square metre, so with about 50 square metres I'll have about 0.1 tonne to get rid of. I forgot to ask whether there was a minimum charge, so it may cost ?17 or perhaps as much as ?70 plus all the hassle of cutting it up and making several journeys in the car, but ?1400 seems totally ridiculous. So now I'm sceptical about everything else in the quote too.
Harry
Wrote in

I mean ?170 if there's a 1 tonne minimum but the guy didn't say there was. In any case ?1400 makes it sound as though the roofer added an extra zero. This is on top of a quote of about ?10000 for replacing a 50 square metre felt roof with fibre glass.
Please don't envy me for living on the scammer-rich Isle of Lewis.
Harry
On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:37:43 -0000 (UTC), Harold Davis wrote:

4 or 5 years ago it cost us £6k ish for a 13 x 4 m (52 sq m) flat roof in fibre glass. Including removal of old felt and failed decking, installation of 100 mm celotext between ceiling rafters, new deck in 22mm OSB3 and the glass fibre covering.

Where have the guys got to come from? Are they having to stay over night whilst they do the job? Mind you £1080 buys you 4 blokes for 3 overnights @ £70/night (B&B, L, EM) in 2 vans coming from 150 miles away...
--
Cheers
Dave.

There is no 150 miles away from here that wouldn't involve a ferry.
They would be coming from about 25 miles away.
Harry
On Monday, 11 February 2019 11:37:45 UTC, Harold Davis wrote:

They are charging you for the ferry. And the whisky consumed on the ferry. And for the waiting time at the tip. And for the whisky consumed while wait ing at the tip. And for the whisky for the boys at the tip to unload specia lly slowly so they have more time to drink whisky.
At those prices they may also be charging you for the diesel used by the fe rry!
Owain
On 11/02/2019 16:26, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Data point: a small transit sized van has more room in than a 8 yard skip, and costs less to hire.
--
“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

I had some stuff to dispose of in MIL's garage. I thought 'not much there', but it completely filled a hired transit.
Cost all in of the transit was £38 for half a day. Plus, some money for my son for helping. Compared to £150 +VAT which was the cheapest quote from the rubbish clearance firms.

The man at the council has now quoted me at around ?140 per tonne. So with 50 sq m and 2 kg per sq m that's 0.1 tonnes for ?14. He did say that the contractor would need a licence whereas I don't so long as I'm throwing away my own stuff.
I could spend a few hours slashing the felt into 33 pieces of say 1m x 1.5m and do 2 or 3 journeys in a SEAT Alhambra with the back seats removed and 2nd row folded. That's a lot of slashing, but worth the effort for ?1386 minus car fuel.
Harry
On 12/02/2019 00:30, Harold Davis wrote:

Hertz do hourly rentals of vans. Pick up at the local B&Q. That might save some wear on the SEAT.
On 12/02/2019 00:36, GB wrote:

Indeed. And you can get a lot more in without dismantling
--
“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.”
On 12/02/2019 00:36, GB wrote:

Many council tips won't let Vans in though...
--
Cheers,

John.
On 12/02/2019 16:58, John Rumm wrote:

drive to one that will...
On 12/02/2019 16:58, John Rumm wrote:

Ours does allow vans, but you have to book the day before, and bring ID showing you are a householder in the borough.
It was a real problem the time before, when we turned up with a drop side truck. I hadn't read the web page closely enough, but they let us in, anyway.
Our council requires us to have a residents permit which is free on providing resident proof to use the waste sites but they do take asbestos for free and vans are permitted on application for a van permit.
Richard
On 12/02/2019 00:30, Harold Davis wrote:

Those are the sort of sums that made me determoine that renovating my house was going to be done by me, to my standards, not at £200 a day to some cints slapdash standards.