Disposal of roofing felt

Check with your local council?

Richard

I recently helped my neighbour to dismantle a carport with a felt roof. Some of it went in a skip we had that was partially filled and the rest we disposed of at our local recycling centre taking it down in his fathers trailer. Neither the skip company or the attendants at the recycle centre batted an eyelid and we were observed and they were aware of what was being disposed off. Sounds like a nice little earner for the roofing company.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Cobblers - it goes in the skip. Mine did.

He's ripping you off...

Reply to
Tim Watts

4 or 5 years ago it cost us £6k ish for a 13 x 4 m (52 sq m) flat roof in fibre glass. Including removal of old felt and failed decking, installation of 100 mm celotext between ceiling rafters, new deck in 22mm OSB3 and the glass fibre covering.

Where have the guys got to come from? Are they having to stay over night whilst they do the job? Mind you £1080 buys you 4 blokes for 3 overnights @ £70/night (B&B, L, EM) in 2 vans coming from 150 miles away...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Will it all go in one skip? Just curious.

Reply to
GB

THis is Scotland and a remote island, so materials come a long way and that costs a lot. Maybe the Scottish gov has 'rules'.

I replaced my 5.5 * 2.8 mtre flat garage roof with new 22 ml OSB3 and EPDM for about £700 for the materials and all the manky chipboard and bitumen is gradually making its way to the local recycling centre.

Reply to
Andrew

There will be 2 or 3 layers of felt on the roof. You shouldn't pay anything at the dump if you have a car. It's waste from your house and can go in the general waste bin. But yes you may get hassle if they spot it, as they think you might be a roofer.

The slow free way is to put some in the household bins each week.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I wonder if they've priced it for ripping off asbestos roofing felt that's in poor condition.

Reply to
Robin

FWLIW if you wanted a path or shed floor you could always heat the old felt up to over 200C & tamp it down. Chop it first for a neat result.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Old bitumen felt (before 1992) contains 8-10% Chrysotile and can only be taken to certain household waste sites and then only if double bagged. It should not be disposed of as general waste nor by burning..

Reply to
Peter Parry

The easy solution is to DIY with butyl rubber. (Fish pond liner) Put on top of the existing felt. Nail periphery with battens.

If windy, lay some heavy timber baulks on top.

£200 fo entire job?

Or use box profile steel sheet. Easy DIY job.

Reply to
harry

Often companies get shafted by local authorities as they consider they will have a lot of whatever it is. It is probably cheaper to get it off and take it to the tip yourself a bit at a time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I burnt mine

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would have thought so.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh...

Reply to
Tim Watts

They are charging you for the ferry. And the whisky consumed on the ferry. And for the waiting time at the tip. And for the whisky consumed while waiting at the tip. And for the whisky for the boys at the tip to unload specially slowly so they have more time to drink whisky.

At those prices they may also be charging you for the diesel used by the ferry!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Having been through a fair bit of clearout recently trhis is what it cost me. (ex of council tax)

8 yard skip £250

Hire a van for a half day and take it to the local tip £45.00

Fill the freelander up and take it to the local tip £7.00 of diesel

Burn it in the back garden £0.00

Cut it up with angle grinder and put a little in the bin each week. £0.00.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher