Disposal of roofing felt

Data point: a small transit sized van has more room in than a 8 yard skip, and costs less to hire.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had some stuff to dispose of in MIL's garage. I thought 'not much there', but it completely filled a hired transit.

Cost all in of the transit was £38 for half a day. Plus, some money for my son for helping. Compared to £150 +VAT which was the cheapest quote from the rubbish clearance firms.

Reply to
GB

Yep, amazing what will fit in a blue bag. Two single divan beds, one matress and two sofas have left here via that method. Admitedl not all the sofas went that way the bigger bit's of wood became firewood. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I had a lot of trouble with some mattresses I had to get rid of. I was able to concertina them into the boot of the car, and take each one separately to the dump. How did you get yours into a blue bag?

Reply to
GB

Hertz do hourly rentals of vans. Pick up at the local B&Q. That might save some wear on the SEAT.

Reply to
GB

Those are the sort of sums that made me determoine that renovating my house was going to be done by me, to my standards, not at £200 a day to some cints slapdash standards.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. And you can get a lot more in without dismantling

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Stripped the covers off and dismantled the spring unit. 2nd one was rolled up tied rolled with some string and taken to the HWRC. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Perhaps you could also heat your house with it.

Instead of a wood burning stove you could install an "Any old crap" burning stove.

Instead of £0.00 it could be -ve disposal cost.

Reply to
Paul Welsh

Prolly COULD burn it in the woodburner

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Many council tips won't let Vans in though...

Reply to
John Rumm

drive to one that will...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ours does allow vans, but you have to book the day before, and bring ID showing you are a householder in the borough.

It was a real problem the time before, when we turned up with a drop side truck. I hadn't read the web page closely enough, but they let us in, anyway.

Reply to
GB

Our council requires us to have a residents permit which is free on providing resident proof to use the waste sites but they do take asbestos for free and vans are permitted on application for a van permit.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Burning old chipboard and bitumen is seriously bad for the environment and your neighbours. Stupid idea. Do you burn your old car tyres as well ?.

Reply to
Andrew

I had a mate, who burned chipboard in his woodburner in his workshop. He had a lot of medical issues, and he got diagnosed with possible Motor Neurone Disease. Then, the penny dropped, he stopped burning chipboard, and he made a miraculous recovery.

We can never be sure the chipboard was the problem, but it seems quite possible.

Reply to
GB

2 things: 1) The chipboard glue is likely to give off nasties. 2) But I question his woodburner if he was able to breath fumes from it... Sounds like a bad or insufficient flue.
Reply to
Tim Watts

managed to burn the wheelbartrow tyres.

'seriously bad for the environment'?

Oh. like water vapour and carbon dioxide?

get a life

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher