Repairing Bakelite

Anyone experience of repairing Bakelite? I have a piece about 7 inches square which has snapped in half. Thickness about 1/12 of an inch. Plan is to glue the two edges and hold together, then add a plate on the underside - brass, or possibly plastic, glued in place.

A vintage radio site suggests Araldite as an adhesive - unless anyone has a better idea?

Reply to
Graeme

Bakelite is a phenolic resin type plastic and epoxy and polyester (car body filler/glass fibre resin/ both work very well, Cyanoacrylate does work but not so well.

As per usal with araldite, mix absolutely equal amounts incredibly thoroughly, wipe off excess with white spirit, clamp up tight and then stove at around 100C in the oven.

YOu will get an almost invisible bond that will not be rubberery even in boiling water

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Araldite for the supporting plate, but might it show in the join between the edges of the two pieces of bakelite? Do you need anything in that gap if it's well supported?

Anything wrong with superglue for the edge join, as it's thin and won't show much if used v sparingly?

Reply to
GB

When I used to wind transformers as a student holiday job. They were wound on bakelite spools and if the pressure of the wire damaged them we always used araldite and put a blow torch over it to set them.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Epoxy works but do support the join with the added plate.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Thanks all. Araldite seems to be the way forward, with a strip of brass underneath, all wafted over with blowtorch or possibly hot air gun.

JOOI, this is a pre war Bayko base, from when the product was true Bakelite, and called Bayko Light Engineering. Bayko Light. Geddit?

Reply to
Graeme

And if you need to use a dot of paint to touch up the crack ISTR Vauxhall 'brazil brown' being the right colour. If you can stabilise the join very well you should be able to get the exudate as good as flat while still wet.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Bit like Formica. Originally intended as a substitute. For mica.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Araldite with some glass fibre dust added, then sand down. It depends what its for but if its for an electrical device, be careful using metal plates. Nice smell when worked. One other issue is are you sure its bakelite and not paxolin or a compressed form of that used for cheap pcbs etc in the 70s. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But not the origin of the name. It was developed by the Belgian-American chemist Leo Baekeland in New York in 1907 and he formed the General Bakelite Company in 1910.

It sounds, from your description, as if someone found a way of 'stealing' a Registered Trade Mark.

Reply to
Terry Casey

In message <ny$ snipped-for-privacy@binnsroad.myzen.co.uk>, Graeme snipped-for-privacy@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

I've still got my Bayko, and I'm pretty sure one of the green bases got broken in half, and it was repaired with what would have been ordinary domestic glue in the early 1950s (probably the Croyde brown stuff, which I can still remember the smell and taste of!). Last time I looked at it, the join was still holding fast.

I wonder how much Bayko is still around these days?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Araldite - use the 24 hour stuff and not the 10 minute variety. If there are any missing pieces or gaps in the join the old trick was to file down some "scrap" bakelite of the same colour and use it as a filler in the epoxy.

Reply to
alan_m

In message snipped-for-privacy@brattleho.plus.com>, Ian Jackson snipped-for-privacy@g3ohx.co.uk> writes

Quite a lot. It was produced for 30 years, and was a big seller at one time. Typing Bayko into eBay this morning results in 375 listings, so plenty to choose from.

Reply to
Graeme

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org>, Terry Casey snipped-for-privacy@example.invalid writes

I don't think Bayko was stealing the name. Bayko Light was merely a play on words, emphasising the Bakelite used in the product, much like Hornby Dublo was a play on Hornby Double O, emphasising the then new 00 gauge.

Reply to
Graeme

In message snipped-for-privacy@binnsroad.myzen.co.uk>, Graeme snipped-for-privacy@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

Indeed. It was sort-of the Lego of its time.

I hadn't checked for a while. Yes - I see Ebay has a lot. The first hit from a quick Google is a kit for £18.99 from Oxfam. Time to de-clutter / donate, I think!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

There's a box in our loft.

Reply to
charles

I never realised that because I pronounced it "dooblo"

Reply to
Dave W

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Dave W snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> writes

Shame on you :-) You are far from alone though, and then there are the eBay sellers who insist on listing Hornby Duplo ...

Reply to
Graeme

All sorts of Trixs take place on there.

GH