Emulsion paint on bakelite

One of the original features in my place is a series of servants' bells in the main room that sound in the kitchen. Naturally not a feature that impresses SWMBO, and they've never worked in the sense that the bell might sound but it never seems to result in a fresh beer ;-( Anyway...the pushes are (very old) bakelite, by the look of it and they're covered in geological layers of emulsion paint, which could do with stripping off, especially as one has been hanging loose since the living room was replastered, so needs to be opened and screwed back onto the wall.

I'm sort of resigned to this being a matter of some very careful scraping (which could be a long job), so I thought I'd see if anyone had any bright ideas for getting this off more easily and less (potentially) destructively. Any suggestions chaps? (Which includes chapesses, naturally!)

Reply to
GMM

main room that sound in the

worked in the sense that the

covered in geological layers of

hanging loose since the

(which could be a long job), so I

and less (potentially)

Soak them for a day in soapy water to soften the emulsion.

You can polish them to restore the surface with brasso of better, solvol autosol.

Caution using chemicals as bakelite is a resin based solid and may be unstable with age.

Reply to
Ericp

Usually the best way. Arm yourself with the right scraper first, of something strong enough to go through the paint, but not steel as it will scratch the Bakelite. Mine is made of Perspex offcuts with a sharp edge.

Bakelite will also refinish quite nicely if you use a 3M or Webrax abrasive scourer pad, then polish it with GPO original Paste, Polishing No 5. Autosol chrome polish is an OK substitute.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

main room that sound in the

worked in the sense that the

covered in geological layers of

hanging loose since the

(which could be a long job), so I

easily and less (potentially)

I have generally found that Swarfega is pretty effective at softening emulsion paint enough to come off easily with light pressure and a sharp plastic tool. No idea if Bakelite will tolerate it though.

Leave for a few hours and then when the paint film is soft it will come off pretty easily - sometimes a fingernail is good enough.

Reply to
Martin Brown

main room that sound in the

worked in the sense that the

covered in geological layers of

hanging loose since the

(which could be a long job), so I

easily and less (potentially)

Dishwasher detergent (which is not a million miles from some types of paint stripper) dissolves bakelite, I discovered.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

the main room that sound in the

worked in the sense that the

covered in geological layers of

been hanging loose since the

(which could be a long job), so I

easily and less (potentially)

So I'd better not put it in the dishwasher then :-)

I'm getting the general impression that scraping is going to be the way to go! Of course, I'm only assuming it's bakelite: It's not metallic, wooden, ceramic etc but I suppose it could be some even more ancient precursor of bakelite. Of course, that's likely to b even more fragile...

Reply to
GMM

ey're covered in geological layers of=20

has been hanging loose since the=20

No no no. Just soak the paint for a day, and it should wipe off. You don't = want to scratch the bakelite up, then have to repolish it all.

eramic etc but I suppose it could=20

y to b even more fragile...

Bakelite's plastic precursors saw relatively little use, so its unlikely.

Bakelite has one big vulnerability though: it often breaks very easily inde= ed. Be most cautious when it comes to screwing it back in place, don't even= begin to tighten the screws beyond the point where the bakelite stops movi= ng freely. If you can safely soak it in situ I would, perhaps with cloth wr= aps and clingfilm.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

they're covered in geological layers of=20

e has been hanging loose since the=20

t want to scratch the bakelite up, then have to repolish it all.

ceramic etc but I suppose it could=20

ely to b even more fragile...

deed. Be most cautious when it comes to screwing it back in place, don't ev= en begin to tighten the screws beyond the point where the bakelite stops mo= ving freely. If you can safely soak it in situ I would, perhaps with cloth = wraps and clingfilm.

But soak it with what - water? If that worked (and the deeper coats may w= ell be good old-fashioned emulsion rather than vinyl) I'd be very happy to = make it easier.

Has to be in situ as I can't disconnect until I can unscrew it!

Reply to
GMM

Nitromors?

Maybe have a read here:

(And that might be the old version...)

Reply to
polygonum

Very interesting Rod - may be time for a careful experiment !

Reply to
GMM

want to scratch the bakelite up, then have to repolish it all.

be good old-fashioned emulsion rather than vinyl) I'd be very happy to make it easier.

I used water with a little ecover, and the emulsion all wiped off

NT

Reply to
meow2222

want to scratch the bakelite up, then have to repolish it all.

well be good old-fashioned emulsion rather than vinyl) I'd be very happy to make it easier.

Sounds simple enough to try, at least on a small patch, and see if it works for this. Cheers

Reply to
GMM