Bulk application of emulsion paint

Now I've seen the Dulux adverts where there is swift repainting of rooms to get a 'shaggable' colour but I don't know how true to life the whole thing is (the painting - focus!).
We are about to embark on painting a very large area including ceilings (plasterer is getting stuck in at the moment) so any labour saving tips would be much appreciated.
Firstly, does the Dulux system work?
Secondly, is there a better/cheaper similar system which works with trade emulsion?
Thirdly, would we be better off with a couple of very large brushes and then paint rollers to get a smoother final coat?
Cheers
Dave R
[Not even bunny]

No. It's absolute shite. Son-in-law refused to believe me and my wife when we told him this. He set out to paint rooms using the Dulux crap. We got on with paint rollers, paint pads and brushes. In a week he did one room. We did every other room in the house.
The Dulux paint was hideously expensive. It also didn't cover well needing several coats. The worst we had to do was two coats.
And then the cleaning of the Dulux system. It takes forever and wastes loads of paint.

No. Unless you count brush and roller as "a system".

Yes. Just get the paint and paint it onthe wall. Thinking about it is worse than doing it. Just take care to do it properly, cut in edges and corners with a brush before slapping on paint with a roller.
--
<•DarWin><|
_/ _/

在 2012年10月16日星期二UTC+8下午6时57分59秒,David WE Roberts写道:

http://www.newuggaustraliasale.co.uk /
On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:57:59 AM UTC+1, David WE Roberts wrote:

I've never used the Dulux thing but it seems like an awful faff. When we did a large room recently, I bought a 12" roller. A bit expensive compared with the normal 9" but at least it felt like progress was significantly faster: If anything it felt like more than the 1/3 gain you might expect, but that was not a scientific comparison (!)
On 16/10/2012 14:56, GMM wrote:

I used to employ a painter who had what looked like a 2 foot roller. Progress was *rapid*. :)
On 16/10/2012 15:12, GB wrote:

I find very few of these "bright ideas" work. I must say I like mohair pads, but by the time I have cleaned then I might as well have used a roller or brush.
On 16/10/2012 15:12, GB wrote:

Available from trade suppliers, although 24" rollers are usually labelled as floor paint rollers.
Colin Bignell
On 16/10/2012 18:40, Nightjar wrote:

Yes, do you know why?
On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:12:00 PM UTC+1, GB wrote:

That must take some wielding: You can feel you've been using a 12" one after painting a room !
On 16/10/2012 14:56, GMM wrote:

I also found that a larger diameter roller helps. It holds more paint, for more coverage per "loading" and it also has a lower speed of angular rotation, reducing spatter.
SteveW
On 16/10/2012 11:57, David WE Roberts wrote:

Have you considered the "Mr Bean" method? <g>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
lqlDjTnPw
--
Cheers,
Roger

+1
Roger Mills wrote:

Mythbusters had a few tries, but couldn't replicate the results ;-)
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On 17/10/2012 07:53, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I don't imagine that Mr Bean's results were actually achieved by means of the firework!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Are you trying to conjure up an image of Kari Byron covered in paint? Just asking.
Cheers Richard
geraldthehamster wrote:

Only the ever-suffering Buster got the spatter treatment, and probably a bit of a headache.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Does raise the prospect of a paint grenade.
I think the profile is too precise on the wall - I suspect there would have been some drift. And the footprints would have gradually faded. However good slapstick :-).
[Not even bunny]

For speed & large areas, a paint roller on a pole is hard to beat. For ceilings be sure to wear a hat.
On 16/10/2012 18:19, harry wrote:

A large diameter roller reduces spatter considerably.
SteveW
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 11:57:49 +0100, "David WE Roberts"

HVLP gun with bulk container of paint on the floor.