Paint sprayer

How good are the paint sprayers, such as Wagner or any others? I'm looking for something fairly inexpensive but good enough to paint odds and ends such as fences and interior walls.

Thanks

Reply to
SBH

I have a wagner, paint crew I think it is called. Bought it about 2 years ago for something like $120 IIRC. I like it, have found it to be a very fast way to paint large areas. There are two downsides (which probably apply to any sprayer). Firstly, cleaning the sprayer when the job is done can take 30 minutes or so. Not a huge amount of time, but more than rollers/brushes. Secondly, you have to be real careful with overspray, and the thing does create a fine dust that will travel from one side of your house to the other if you don't tape off. Because of these things, I am usually a little reluctant to use it except on large jobs. I just used it to prime my new bedroom suite (I would guess around 2000 sq feet of wall and ceiling) and was amazed how quickly I got it done. Around 60 minutes of actual painting time. Even with the clean up, that is way way quicker than a roller.

Never tried it outside, but it should work as long as there's not much wind. I don't generally use it for top coat. Primer, sure, ceilings, yep, but for walls I prefer the slightly textured finish you get from a roller. I probably need to try it next time to give it a chance.

Reply to
cubby

"cubby" wrote

Never tried it outside, but it should work as long as there's not much wind. I don't generally use it for top coat. Primer, sure, ceilings, yep, but for walls I prefer the slightly textured finish you get from a roller. I probably need to try it next time to give it a chance.

reply:

ALWAYS BACKROLL AIRLESS! (Unless it is block or somewhere you want paint really thick.)

Have someone follow you with a 3/4" or bigger nap roller to even it out and add stipple. Very simple.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Historically Wagner has been a bit of a joke, but lately some of their offerings don't look too bad, though overpriced. For around $20 and even less, Harbor Freight has some decent offerings. I have some professional spray guns for big stuff, but the odd jobs are done just fine with the collection of HF guns on the shelf. Stick with your paint roller on interior walls. The hassle with airless and taping is not much fun. The pros use those and paint an entire new house in less than a day. And the cleanup takes another half day.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I've tried the El Cheapo ($20? on sale) HF unit and it sucked.

It splattered globs of paint all over the surface.

A friend gave me his Wagner - I don't know the model number - because it did the same thing.

I'd blame it on the operator (at least in my case) but I've worked with my friend while he used a "professional" sprayer (all fancy stainless steel, etc.) and his huge air compressor and did a phenomenal job priming and painting a large and extremely odd shaped item. Not a single glob to be seen.

On the other hand, a co-worker kept raving about the Wagner he used to paint his house last summer. Again, I don't know that model number but he was quite happy with the result.

I'll see if I can model numbers and post back.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

One of the first things I had done to my house when I moved in was had it painted and the pros did use the spray technique which was done in a day and a half. Man was I impressed. I think the first day was mainly taping and covering and the second day was painting. Regardless, it was done in two days. Ever since, this prompted me to think about spraying for paint jobs.

Reply to
SBH

I own a Graco XR7, a midsized sprayer. I have used it on several projects. As you say, prep is critical, but then that can be said of any proper paint job. Overspray is a big deal, too as has been stated. But, if the conditions are right, spraying is a very quick way to get a very even coat of paint on, or even two. Airless sprayers tend to put a lot of paint on a surface, and that is better than a thin wimpy one.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B