Paint/primer combined

You guys trust the combined paint/primer (I am thinking mainly of the Behr stuff advertised by the BORG, but maybe there are others)? I have about 1500 sq of newly drywalled wall space to paint. It's probably going to take a day or two to do each coat (a lot of angles and cathedral ceiling), so missing a step (assuming I would use two coats of paint whether or not I prime first) would be huge. Maybe I'm being too skeptical, but I am nervous about putting this stuff straight on drywall. If it doesn't go on well or starts to peel in a few years, I will never live it down. That's why I'm looking for thoughts/experiences from this group.

TIA Cub

Reply to
cubby

cubby wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i32g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

I'm very skeptical on that stuff too. And that's putting it over already painted surface! I just finished repainting a couple of rooms. I figure I'm gonna put two coats on for true color and coverage anyway so why spend extra bucks.

On new drywall, I wouldn't trust it unless it got rave reviews from real bonified users. Anyway, you can usually tint drywall primer. Have it tinted 1/2-3/4 of the final color. Not sure if Borg can handle that but a paint store can easily.

I had to do a very large kitchen/dining room once with very high cathedral ceiling walls multiple coats. I used one of these and it was kick-ass. It was called Roll-Fast then I think. No up & down ladders except to move them.

Also used it to do ALL the popcorn ceilings in a house. Kick-ass again.

Not good just to do a normal room IMO. You do have to flush it out via a garden hose connection. Keep that in mind if you're in a cold area when you do it. The roller covers for it run $5-10. As far as stopping overnight or between coats, I basically wrapped the roller cover with plastic wrap and left everything in tact paint can and all.

Here's a pretty good summary from someone:

Overall Rating:

3 out of 5 3 out of 5 Better for medium/large jobs, October 12, 2010 By JerryY from Dallas, TX "I bought this unit to paint the interior of my house (2600 sqft w/ 10' ceilings) and it is a bit of a one trick pony.

Basically you put your 1 gallon paint bucket into the strap and attach a lid with a hole for a plastic tube which goes down into the paint. When the button is pressed on the handle of the roller it will pump the paint from the can through all the hose to the roller. I recommend slowly rolling the wall at a slight angle while the roller loads up with paint so the roller is coated evenly. Like I said in my title this is best for big jobs and here's why. As I mentioned in the operation it requires a 1 gallon can and quite a bit of paint is going to be in the hose. So unless you plan to use at least a gallon you're going to flush a ton of paint out of this unit when you clean it. Plus you have to clean it between colors which means if you have a lot of colors you are painting you need to plan accordingly or spend a lot of time cleaning and wasting paint. Also this requires special rollers (they have holes to allow the paint to soak into the roller from the inside out) which are pricier than a standard roller. Clean-up is a messy process too. you have to clean the paint from the tube, the tubing, the roller handle, etc. The ability to run water from the hose through this unit is handy but if you don't have some way to collect the paint you'll be coloring the grass or concrete. My rule of thumb is I only use this roller if I'm using at least a gallon of paint and only have to clean up once. Otherwise, I get the normal trays and rollers out and use those. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad product but it will cost you more time and $$$ than it saves in cases where you have multiple colors and/or small areas to paint."

Reply to
Red Green

I dont think one coat of anything is possible to get a good finish on compound and drywall, if it works im amazed. For exterior I would not use it, not will I use a latex primer outside, the point of primer outside is to penetrate and bond, latex cant penetrate as deep as oil, its the size of the molecules in latex they are bigger.

Reply to
ransley

On 11/9/2010 10:38 AM Red Green spake thus:

Home Despot can and will tint primer. I've had it done there, as well as elsewhere. All you need to do is choose any paint chip from their selection and hand it to them.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Would I trust the paint/primer? Sure. Would I spend the money for it? Highly doubtful. Drywall sucks up paint, and primer is a cheap way to seal the drywall. It makes little sense to use expensive paint as sealer since you'll still have to do two coats of finish.

It won't peel, you'll just be throwing money away. On top of previously painted walls it makes more sense to use the paint/primer stuff, but in that situation most of the time you don't need any primer at all anyway.

RicodJour

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4cd9bbb1$0$2535 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

That tinted primer is a great thing. It acts like an additional coat of paint, so it's easier covering up old paint when going from a dark to a light (or vice versa).

Reply to
Tegger

RicodJour wrote in news:029b09b9-3047-4bfb- snipped-for-privacy@n32g2000prc.googlegroups.com:

A gallon is a gallon. If they put something in they must take something out. I'll stick with a gallon of regular paint contents like pigment.

Reply to
Red Green

On 11/9/2010 2:21 PM Tegger spake thus:

Yep, absolutely. As a handyman who doesn't know what color paint I'll be asked to paint or paint over, I keep both untinted white primer and a medium gray primer which works well over and under most colors.

Forgot to mention that no stores I've been in charge for tinting primer.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

snipped-for-privacy@i32g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

thanks for the tip - I have one of these already, but don't tend to use it unless it's a job I can do in one go (rather than a couple of hours here and there) because of the cleaning. I will try to do this one in one very long day...

Reply to
cubby

Thanks for everyone's advice. I conclude -

Don't use the primer/paint stuff Do use proper primer but get it tinted (I hope they can do that for the 5 gallon drums)

thanks again everyone.

Cub

Reply to
cubby

On 11/9/2010 4:49 PM cubby spake thus:

Interesting point. I've never bought 5 gallons of paint, but I ass-u-me it comes in custom colors, so they must be able to tint it, right?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The new "self priming" third generation latex paint actually does a pretty good job. I've used CIL and Benjamin Moore Count on 2 coats, particularly on fresh drywall.

Reply to
clare

On 11/9/2010 5:31 PM snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca spake thus:

Well, you say it does a good job, so we'll have to take your word for it, but does it save money, time or effort? Why use it instead of traditional primer and paint?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

It acts like a coat of paint...umm, okay. But it's not. Primer doesn't have all of the expensive stuff in paint - the stuff that makes it durable and washable with good hiding ability. It kills me when people skimp on paint cost when it's such a small part of the overall job. People that tint primer frequently only apply one coat of paint. That's not nearly the same thing as having two coats of paint. The buildup thickness is not the same and the paint job will not wear as well. On some things that might matter, but on other things it definitely does. If you see someone tint primer when they're painting new siding, be very afraid.

RicodJour

On 11/9/2010 6:03 PM RicodJour spake thus:

I don't know about that.

Point about skimping on paint well taken. However, even if applying multiple coats, it's still a good idea to tint just to make it easier to cover a large color difference. After all, why use more paint than necessary?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Unless someone is using crap paint, two coats of paint will cover just about anything. I've seen crap paint applied in three coats and you could still see the taped joints. I've never seen any color change that wasn't covered with primer and two coats. Since we're talking about tinting primer, that can only mean omitting the second coat of paint.

The only reason people tint primer is to get a little bit of an edge. The edge may be skipping the second coat of paint, or it might be making the little holidays in the first coat disappear. Either way, they're tinting to save time or money, and it's usually at the expense of complete coverage and/or a long-lasting paint job.

When you say "why use more paint than necessary?" it's kind of off point. Of course you shouldn't use more paint than is necessary, but what constitutes necessary? Is it how it looks or how it wears? The limiting factor may be purely a cosmetic issue immediately (right at the time the last coat dries), but more likely, and preferably, the limiting factor should be a certain finish thickness which will determine the longevity of the paint job. In high quality paint the finish thickness is specified. This becomes particularly important when the job is sprayed as some paint jockeys thin the paint to extend it and make it easier to spray fast, so the coverage and buildup take a hit. Two thinned coats might not provide sufficient buildup. Those guys have no choice but to tint the primer.

RicodJour

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4cd9e2d4$0$2551$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Dammit David! STFU. Don't give em any ideas

:-)

Reply to
Red Green

cubby wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s5g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Again, I had absolutely no problem covering the roller/head with plastic food wrap for a night or two. Hell, with latex paint, I've had brushes covered for days in the frig. Not suggesting putting the power roller in the frig!

Reply to
Red Green

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Our local paint store does it in 5 gallon pails. We bought about 25 pails of it last year.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you bid or pay for a one coat job then tinting primer can be necessary to do it one coat paint. Few are willing to pay for a second coat. you tint primer so you dont screw yourself into unnecessary work. Thats the way its always been back to 12845 BC when cavemen were hired to paint caves for the cave king.

Reply to
ransley