Paint/primer combined

ransley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d20g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:

Guess it was known as Bear paint back then.

Reply to
Red Green

Hey, anything is possible.

But Behr is noted for it's lack of covering. The painters I know think it's the worst stuff possible.

If it's your place, buy some good paint. And if you want to make sure you don't have to put yet another coat on, start with with some Kilz 2 and use something else (Benny Moore, SW, Duron...). Behr is famous for always looking like it needs another coat.

Otherwise no direct experience with paint and primer combo.

Jeff

Jeff Thies

Behr exterior paint is pretty well regarded.

interior paint is a bit tougher to nail down. As this report mentions, the reviews are all over the map.
I would say that paint follows an inverse wine law. When choosing an inexpensive wine from a menu, choose the second to cheapest. It will usually be the best value. In paint, reverse that, pick the second to most expensive paint in a lower brand name paint line up and you'll probably get good paint at a reasonable price.

Of course my rule of thumb might be all thumbs. ;)

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@r29g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

No, but look at it this way: If I (a decided non-pro, like most homeowners) need to use primer anyway, and I'm going from a light to a dark, I can use the primer coat to get a little further along in covering up the original light color than I would if I used untinted primer and two coats of paint.

In other words, I'm still applying three coats in total, but with tinted primer I can get the color-hiding effects of four coats (one of primer and three of paint) while still only applying three coats.

In still other words, if primer can be tinted, it's slightly foolish to turn what could be a double-duty coat into a single-duty coat, when double- duty has no downside and plenty of upside.

Now if you wanted to use tinted primer to /cheat/, then that's a whole other ballgame.

Reply to
Tegger

- snipped-for-privacy@r29g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

I can't argue with any of that. I really can't argue with whatever someone wants to do on their own house, either. I just wanted to make it clear that tinted primer is not a color coat replacement.

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v19g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

I wholly agree.

It is not a cheat or a shortcut, but an enhancement to what you would have done had the primer not been tinted.

Reply to
Tegger

Behr exterior paint is pretty well regarded.

interior paint is a bit tougher to nail down. As this report mentions, the reviews are all over the map.
I would say that paint follows an inverse wine law. When choosing an inexpensive wine from a menu, choose the second to cheapest. It will usually be the best value. In paint, reverse that, pick the second to most expensive paint in a lower brand name paint line up and you'll probably get good paint at a reasonable price.

Of course my rule of thumb might be all thumbs. ;)

Have used Behr All in one(Eggshell) over new drywall several times mostly in my own house just to check it out because alot of my drywall cutomers ask about it when painting it themselves...Works great , goes on good and covered in 2 coats...HTH...

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that with the new laws against oil based paint , low oder paint and other eco-nonsense , that it doesn't seem to matter much which brand you buy now..I painted the trim on SWMBO's new garden shed back in 2007 with Ben Moore's..Used Trouble Shooter Primer and Exterior Latex Satin..Took my time and did it by the book and it's peeling already..Helped my dad do some painting with cheap shit from Walmart and it's doing slightly better...Go figure..Same with the stain...Bought Cabots for the T-111 on the garden shed and it's peeling as well..My dad used cheap Walmart stain on his steps and it's doing pretty good..Same inside..He used the cheap stuff and it looks great....Go figure....

Reply to
benick