kitchen and bathroom paint

Hi,

Is it me or was there a time where you could buy one tin of paint labeled "kitchen and bathroom" paint? The sheds now seem to sell separate kitchen and bathroom paints. Is this just a trick to make you buy two pots rather than one?

Across the rest of the house, we have used dulux endurance, which is a wipeable emulsion. Now the unique selling point of the bathroom paint is that it is moisture resistant. Wouldn't the dulux endurance be moisture resistant considering that it is wipeable? The kitchen paint claims to be wipeable and grease resistant but again, wouldn't the endurance be the same? Could I just use the endurance emulsion and save some money?

I have had a look on the dulux web site and

does mention the bathroom paint is mould resistant, which I didn't see mentioned on the tin, so that might be one difference. But the descriptions for the kitchen and endurance paints read much the same:

That they are both wipeable and will not fade, so are they really any different?

I have heard eggshell is recommended for kitchens and bathrooms but the dulux web site says it is only for woods and metals:

The tin says high vocs, so would it be very smelly if applied to a whole wall? It says self-undercoating but would you need to use anything as an undercoat or primer (I would be painting onto bare plaster).

Has anyone used any of Wickes' paint? I see they sell this:

It's interesting that the description for their kitchen paint says: "A tough, fully scrubbable emulsion in a long lasting matt finish. Ideal for busy rooms such as kitchens, hallways, stairs and children's bedrooms.

For interior walls and ceilings Tough and long lasting Flawless matt finish Fully scrubbable Ideal for kitchens and all other high traffic areas", which does make me think it is no different to any other wipeable emulsion.

Fred

On Saturday 14 September 2013 07:37 Fred wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Dulux Bathroom is shinier than Endurance (I have used both).

The Bathroom is pretty good but it does not cover as well - sometimes needing 3 coats over a vastly different background.

Personally I would be happy with either Endurance or Bathroom in the kitchen.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Fred writes

Search for their acrylic eggshell and you will find what you want:

By preference I would use Johnstones Acrylic Eggshell or the Leyland brand which is a more value oriented product from the same manufacturer, both acceptable IME.

Reply to
fred

Thank you. I wasn't sure whether I needed to get "proper" eggshell as I wondered whether the benefits were in the formulation. Is an acrylic eggshell better than an acrylic matt? I thought that "eggshell" in this context described a finish between matt and satin, rather than described the formulation?

Reply to
Fred

Thank you. I may have some endurance left, if the frost didn't get it, so I will probably go with that. The only advantage of using the bathroom paint seems to be the mould resistance but I haven't had any problems with mould before now, so I think I may stick with the endurance; particularly if it covers better.

Reply to
Fred

IMHO eggshell is more durable than emulsion. I've had no problems with it in bathrooms and the kitchen. Kitchen/bathroom paint is usually more difficult to apply and has a poorer finish.

Reply to
Mark