Sheetrocking kitchen, put durock where backsplash is?

I'm getting ready to sheetrock my kitchen and was wondering if I should sheetrock the entire wall or just sheetrock up to 36" high, then put 18" high durock for the backsplash, then continue up with sheetrock. Can I just rock the entire wall and still put the backsplash tile on the sheetrock?

Reply to
Mikepier

Durarock and other cement boards do not have a suitable paintable surface, and is not really necessary unless you plan on having lots of water sloshing around on your countertop. There are many ways to finish the backsplash that will work better.

One hint that I learned the hard way, do not install nor let them install drywall behind the cabinets with the standard seam 48" above the floor. This is right in the middle of the backsplash and often where all the electrical, phone and other outlets are located. Have them install a 2 foot strip along the bottom of the wall, then a standard 4 foot wide sheet above it then another 2 foot strip along the ceiling. This will place all the seams behind the cabinets and leave the backsplash smooth.

The problem with a seam down the middle of the backsplash is tiles and other rigid materials will not fit against the slight bulge of the seam causing the tiles to rock or sit with one edge protruding above the tile below or above it. When the tiles are cut around the electrical boxes small strips of tile can be easily broken when fitting over the seam bulge. Placing the seams behind the cabinets will provide a flat surface to fit whatever backsplash material you want without placement problems.

Reply to
EXT

Yes.

Reply to
dadiOH

Yeah, but durock near the sink and stove in the backsplash area would be a good idea, since that is where the backsplash is likeliest to get wet. The materials are pretty cheap, so your call as to if the difference in labor is worth it. Personally, I'd use the durock the whole backsplace area, and put the seams where the uppers and countertop would hide them. That will give the flattest wall and most painless, best looking tile job.

Don't forget, while you have the walls open, to add blocking at the top rail level of the base cabinets, and at the upper and lower rail level for the uppers. Not having to hunt for a stud when placing the cabinets avoids a lot of cussing.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Yes,sheetrock the entire wall and as was stated earlier DO NOT PUT THE SEAM IN THE MIDDLE. On just that wall put 2 seams above and below the cabinets. Also on ALOT of kitchens I see the entire wall is done with 1/2 plywood then drywalled to make cabinet installation ALOT easier...If you go that route remember to move your outlet boxes out an extra 1/2 inch...Good luck with your new kitchen.....

Reply to
benick