Kitchen backsplash adhesive

Normally, when I'm laying tile for floors or on a backerboard, I'll use thinset, but because I didn't want to the tile to stick out any further, I went with mastic over the existing sheetrock this time...

I recently had granite countertops installed in my kitchen and as luck would have it, my existing tile backsplash just looked a bit dated with the new stone, so I decided to rip it all out and replace it with tumbled travertine with Jerusalem stone borders & accents... I used up a gallon of mastic installing the stone tiles and I just have a few more to go and instead of buying another gallon of it, I was wondering if latex caulking would be acceptable for mounting the tiles to the wall... Yeah, I'm trying to save myself from yet another trip to Home Depot or Lowes... From dealing with the mastic, it sure felt like latex caulking, so I was kind of curious how similar they really are...

Also, would a construction adhesive (like Liquid Nails) bleed through travertine? I've used it for ceramic tiles on a wall without a problem, but I'm not so sure about using it on travertine...

Reply to
Grumman-581