Order of Kitchen Installation?

The countertop person says the countertop should be installed before the backsplash, the backspash person says the backsplash should be installed before the countertop so that the countertop isn't damaged during installation of the backsplash. Any opinions appreciated. Pat

Reply to
Patscga

Either will work. Personally, I would get the countertop installed first since it is much easier to adjust a backsplash to fit the already installed countertop. Just make sure the countertop is well protected when installing the backsplash (you can use thick cardboard).

I had the same problem with my hardwood and tile installation. Both installers wanted to install first, and both had good arguments. I ended up getting the hardwood installed first because it was more convenient for me. I did protect the floor very well however before the tile installation (these tile guys were messy!).

Reply to
jstp

id say counter first so backsplash can be made even,

Reply to
mark Ransley

Reply to
Art Todesco

they each want their job to be made easier. the first guy in almost always has an easier time.

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

Always backsplash first!

Reply to
Randd01

Negative it depends on the materials being used for the countertop and backsplash. a little more info on the materials being used by the OP would help.

Reply to
Genemy

What type of materials are you talking about for countertop and backsplash?

Reply to
Genemy

Most of the guys that install my counters for me want the backsplash on first to go behind the counter. They state that if you butt the backsplash whether it be granite tile or formica to the counter, when settling occurs you get a crack at the joint that is unsightly to look at.

Reply to
Randd01

Cambria for countertop, porcelain tiles for backsplash.

Pat

Reply to
Patscga

What that also does is produces a crack [if/when one occurs] that is only visible from above.

A backsplash resting on the countertop produces a crack - right at eye-level- that can be seen from anywhere in the room.

In my house I'd go with backsplash first-- and if the countertop guy can't work with that find one who will.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Install countertops first. if it were stainless steel or laminate, then I would install the backsplash first. but tiles? Install countertops first. use silicone caulking or grout caulking that matches the grout color.

To all the other lurkers? anyone who installs backsplash first with any stone is an idiot! and obviously has not much experience.

Reply to
Genemy