Glue for backsplash?

Hello, I have made an arbrite countertop and have made a seperate 4 inch high backsplash for the back of the countertop. I need to glue it to the kitchen wall... The wall is primed and newly painted drywall ...Basically I am glueing 3/4 inch plywood to the wall as that is what I made the backsplash out of... I'm wondering what type of glue to use. I have a tube of Polyurethane construction adhesive and thinking I may use that...Thoughts?... Thank you... Jim

Reply to
Jim

Don't use adhesive. Use these:

Doug Miller

Doug have you ever used these?

A few problems that might arise

1 Looks like a lot of material needs to be removed leaving little support for the laminate at the bottom of the backsplash. I suppose this could be addressed by only routing out where the clips are. 2 Even with the spacing bar it would probably be difficult to get the spacing just right on a long run. Last one I installed was 9' long. 3 How do you get the top of the backsplash tight to the wall?

Jim I use the appropriate Liquid Nails and wedge boards between the backsplash and a 2x4 clamped to the counter. Before installing the backsplash I spread silicone caulk along the bottom to keep the water out.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Many times. They're great.

It's not like it *needs* a lot of support; in any event, the depth removed is something like 5/16".

No, you want to leave as little material as possible, actually -- that way, if any water does get between the backsplash and the countertop, there isn't anything there for it it swell up or rot.

I haven't found that to be a problem. Just measure and mark carefully, and it goes together slicker than snot.

Adjust the position of the clips so that they follow the wall, not the countertop. If the wall isn't perfectly straight, the backsplash will conform to the wall.

Reply to
Doug Miller

We had very old formica covered plywood counters and backsplashes. The backsplashes came loose and it appeared the old adhesive was something like hide glue. I put them back, using just a few dabs of silicone caulk. I then used caulk along the top and front to seal them off. Held just fine until we replaced the countertops.

Reply to
norminn

Go for it. Being sparingly on the adhesive, i.e, use "dabs" along the back edge quarter/half dollar size. 3-5 dabs? Mirrors are install on drywall similarly.

Caulk edges after install. If you ever need to remove it, cut the caulk and pry the splash off. Damage would be paper tearing off the paper of the drywall.

Reply to
Oren

What he said!!

Reply to