Porcelain vs. bakelite socket

I need to repair a pole lamp; one of the sockets went bad. The lamp currently has porcelain sockets, in particular they are bottom knob turn sockets. Not only can't I find a replacement socket at Home Depot / Lowes, I can't even find a porcelain one on the web. I can only find bakelite. Does bakelite withstand as much heat as porcelain?

Reply to
KenM

Bakelite, phenolics, most electrical grade thermosets don't come close to porcelain in high temperature performance. That's why the lamp maker chose it. You have some options: 1) contact the lamp maker for a new socket. 2) Check McMaster-Carr or Grainger catalogs. 3) Find a friendly warehouse where the pros buy their stuff and buy a Pass & Seymour Cat # 3152-8,

9880, 10045 or 10085 socket to fit your lamp. 4) Check Yellow pages for a lamp specialty house if you live in one of the larger cities. 5) Find a used furniture outlet and buy a lamp with a salvageable socket. 6) put the lamp out for your yard sale and buy a new one. You may be stuck with a totally unique design, in which case #1 is your only choice. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe