Mild rant: 3-way lamp sockets are junk

Recently replaced the light bulb socket on a lamp and the socket has started to go bad only after 6 months. Any one know of a Web source of high quality lamp parts?

I was suckered in again by Leviton electric products. Leviton brand is just cheap, cheap, cheap! Useless junk that don't last. Only thing worse (very cheaply made and don't last) than Leviton's lamp products is Leviton's eclectic wall duplex outlets, you know the 49 cent junk.

As you know, inside the socket there is the center contact, a spring leaf second contact, and the outer shell for the neutral (white wire) electrical connection. What normally happens is the 2nd connector looses its spring over time and makes a weak connection with the 3-way light bulb; corrosion results. (but everyone knows this already.)

But Leviton's products start to fail almost before I get my tools back in the tool box in the basement. Everywhere I go, BORG, Hardware, Lamp store, they all *only* carry the same cheaply made Leviton. I seem to remember a 20 years ago, another brand of 3-way lamp sockets that were a bit more expensive but lasted a lot longer since the maker used better metal (spring leaf had more "spring" life.)

Again, anyone know of a Web source for a good quality lamp parts so a 3- way lamp socket will last more than a couple of years? I found a few hits from Google, but as I don't know them as vendors, I would like a recommendation as to vendor and product maker.

Thanks to all who reply.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Again

Many manufacturers make "consumer grade" products (cheap junk), but also make "commercial grade", "industrial grade", "hospital grade", or "military specification" products which high quality and are built to last. They also can cost 5 times more! These products would not be sold at a consumer retail store.

I know Leviton makes these other grade products with plugs and outlets (excellent quality), but I don't know if a 3-way light socket would be a commercial/hospital/military product or just a consumer product?

Might want to call them and ask if they have a higher grade product you can order... 877-389-0000

Web site...

Bill

Why web? For something that small and presumably you're not needing case lots, just go to your local electrical supply if not happy w/ the stock at the borg's.

--

Reply to
dpb

Check out Grand Brass Lamp Parts (

). For a start, instead of a snap-together lamp socket, they use a threaded design -- keeps the socket from coming apart. Cost is about $5.00 They sell on line.

Part of the 3-way connection problem is with the lamp, of course. Check the lamp when you install it for smoothness of the 3rd. (rim) contact. If there's a solder blob or rough weld, smooth it down so the metal tab in the socket has more contact area.

Note: I've not had personal experience with the Grand Brass products, but I do know that they are well respected in the high-end segment of the residential lighting industry.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

On 2/5/2009 4:07 AM Phil Again spake thus:

Slight correction: present-day Leviton products are junk.

Surprise, surprise. Most stuff made today is crap.

But older Leviton sockets are well made. I have a lamp sitting on my desk that belonged to my parents that I got when my mom died; I remember it in our house from almost 50 years ago. Has a 3-way Leviton socket, and it still works fine.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Phil-

RE: TKM's suggestion of

I have purchased an assortment of light & lamp repair parts from them. I was very pleased with their service & the qulaity of their parts.

I would use them again.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

TKM & Bob:

Thanks for the link to Grand Brass.

Reply to
Phil Again

This is why I was searching for a Web store:

One major point in Web e-commerce is small business can find a market amongst a much larger Internet population than any single brick and mortar business which is limited to local customers. For example: there are web stores that just sell black peppercorns and other spices from India. Would such a store make enough profit to stay in business in your neighborhood? I know they wouldn't near where I live. Amazon.com carries way more different books than any of my local book stores, or my local library for that matter.

Maybe 2 years ago, in search for an additional electrical circuit breaker, one electrical supply house in my local area (suburban Detroit) quite up front and in-your-face told me they focus on the professional electricians only due to inventory reduction and staff adjustments (read: go away.) The supply house where I did purchase the circuit breaker from is now out of business while the other supply house who didn't want to sell to me, is still open.

Trust me, the days of Mom & Pop small specialty stores are almost gone forever. Bland one-size-fits-all BORGS and other mega stores have taken over. A few places Mom & Pop specialty stores still exist, but many have moved to the Internet.

Yes, shipping and handling drive the cost up, but I wasn't looking for cheap, I was looking for quality and long life.

Reply to
Phil Again

I was looking at their site and much of what they sell is Leviton. Luckily they do have other brands also. But it's hard to search because the price is not there until you select an item. They seem to be well priced, however.

Reply to
jharris91

Nine year old post you are replying to, ace.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

replying to Phil Again, 68monza wrote: my 3 way sockets keep going bad too. have replaced the socket 4 times in one year. bought at Home Depot. Are the bulbs defective as to make the sockets go bad?

Reply to
68monza