lamp socket mounting sizes (not bulb size)

Hi,

I have an antique looking floor lamp. It had a standard looking lamp socket (took regular bulbs) with a turning switch. The socket would screw down onto the lamp and hold the torch-shade thing in place.

However, the socket was old and corroded and it sparked when turned.

So I thought I would replace it. I bought a new socket. Only it doesn't fit!

That is, the bottom of the socket does not screw onto the lamp. All hardware stores I've been to just have one-size of socket.

Is it a metric/imperial thing? I can't seem to find anything on different socket mounting sizes, just tons of stuff on the different bulb-mounts. I have no problem with a fitting a bulb in a socket, I just can't find a socket that fits on my lamp.

thanks

ben

Reply to
Ben

Without your telling us the thread size you need, there's not much chance for you to get a really definitive answer here.

I suggest you take the old socket to Home Depot or Lowes and try various male threaded things like standard and metric bolts and maybe pipe nipples from the plumbing department until you find one which fits the female threads in it.

Then you'll know what size adaptor you need to screw onto the male thread of your lamp to adapt it down to the female 1/8 inch straight pipe thread that today's US lamp sockets use.

Chances are the place you're in will be able to sell you the right fittings (either one or two pieces) to do the job.

If you can't find an adaptor to fit the thread on the lamp, then get one which screws into the new socket and is a close fit over what's sticking out of the lamp and fasten it onto the lamp with JB-Weld. That stuff will easily take the heat there and the male/female threads will give it something to really sink its teeth into.

Happy New Year,

Jeff

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

You might try a lamp shop. The local one in my not-very-sophisticated city was quite familiar with the thingie I needed for an old iron lamp. Home Depot doesn't deal in specialties.

Reply to
Frogleg