replacing lamp socket (that light bulb screws into): brass or silver goes to wide-blade?

The new socket (thing light bulb screws into) has, of course, two screws for the ac-cord to wrap around and screwed tight.

Polarized plug -- one "blade" regular, one wide.

Which one goes to the brass screw, which to the silver-looking one?

THANKS!

David

Reply to
David Combs

Silver terminal - marked lead on cord - wide prong on plug - neutral Brass terminal - unmarked lead on cord - narrow prong on plug - hot

The neutral goes to the sleeve (threaded) contact on the socket. This reduces the severity of a shock if you touch the sleeve contact when inserting or removing the bulb.

Reply to
Bob

Right -- I read that in one of my fixit-books -- that you have to really work at it to get your finger way in, touching that little contact way at the back, comared to the sleeve.

Thanks for that!

Only one problem: there is NO marking on the cord, ZERO (and I'm looking at it right now, for 2nd time) -- no marking on surrounding plastic/rubber/ whatever insulating wrap, NOR on either of the (stranded) wires enclosed.

No problema -- I just use one of my VOM's set on "resistance measuring", and match up the two ends. Simple enough.

But it is strange that there is no other easy way to distinguish the two sides -- the assumption being that the user is NEVER going to even THINK about replacing the light socket.

Anyway, THANKS FOR THE INFO! I now go wire it up.

David

Reply to
David Combs

If you look real carefully at most zip cords, one of the wires has one or more small ridges running along the insulation. That is the "identified" (neutral) conductor.

Reply to
bud--