Radiator Sizes

My central heating radiator is 1280x600. I cannot find a radiator this size in the local DIY shops. I could replace it with a 1200 or a 1400 as they seem to be the only close sizes I can get but what do I do with the pipe work?

Anyone able to advise here?

Thanks

Reply to
John Kelly

I had the same problem/challenge last year.

There are radiator tail extensions available that slide in and out of radiator. Don't know exact lengths, a few cm each side might get you sorted for the 1200.

In one room I just used a shorter rad an elbow and a piece of pipe. It can't bee seen from rest of room. If aesthetics are important, this might not suit you.

In another room I used a longer rad, elbow, pipe, elbow. As pipe is under rad it can't been seen. Again aesthetics etc

Francis

Reply to
FrancisJK

I have used fixed length extensions which screw direct into the rad. These allow you to use standard valves and don't look too bad. Available in

5mm increments IIRC. Depends on the location and your perspective.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

IMO you'd do better to offset the pipes and use normal valves. Valves hanging off extenders would be rather liable to being knocked.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Maybe I should clarify my lack of knowledge/ability on plumbing. I was hoping to take the one radiator off and stick a new one on with only minimal messing around with the compression joints on the valves. Is this possible with my setup?

Reply to
John Kelly

In article , John Kelly writes

May be. I was doing this yesterday. Old rad was a imperial size new one metric!". Took one size slightly smaller with a tailpiece extended which made the pipes fit. Fixings at the rear were different so removed the old ones and affixed new ones.

Turned of both rad valves as pipes were loose, was able to slacken valves at both ends lift rad of its fixing "hooks" tilt rad forward so that rad top was lower than its base, undid bleed nipple and drained some water off, then did it up and undid rad valves as water now was below the level of the valves, and took rad away still full, well almost, of water. No need to drain system down and no mess trying to empty rad water either. Put new fixings on, transferred old tail ends and blank plus fitted to new rad back on wall, connected up total job time was 55 mins:)

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , John Kelly writes

What DIY shops - even bigger ones such as B&Q Warehouse have a small range compared to what a plumbers merchant could supply. You might try visiting a couple. Or have a root about on websites such as Stelrads's Barlo etc.

I'd also check the actual sizes if possible, rather than the size as quoted.

someone mentioned adjustable rad tails, it sounds like the best solution for you if no rad can be found to fit.

Reply to
chris French

Thanks - I'll try and find a plumbers merchants near me.

Reply to
John Kelly