Light bulb size

Looking for edison bulbs. What sizes fit what? E26, e27? What fits in a regular house lamp that a normal 60 watt would? Looking for all terms of size from a Sentsy to porch light. Sentsy is small, Porch is medium, house lamp is large. Easier to order pants.

Reply to
Thomas

Maybe it would be better if you read this.

Dean Hoffman

Ok. Got it. Thanks Dean.

Reply to
Thomas

E26 are US, E27 are European.

We have floor lamps of both size from when we lived overseas. The European lamps are much higher quality (and were probably much more expensive). In my experience a US E26 bulb will work in a German E27 fixture, sometimes. And sometimes not. I think there is sufficient manufacturing variability in US E26 bulbs that sometimes they are a bit oversize and work fine, sometimes a bit undersize and don't work. I've noticed more problems with CFL and LED than incandescent.

Reply to
TimR

ACTUALLY - e26 is 120 volt, E27 is 240 - but you've got the right idea. Generally "world market" sockets are E27 - virtually all E26 bulbs will work in virtually all E27 sockets - just don't torque them too tight. With LED bulbs, MANY are "universal " - 84 -260 volt - and generally have E26-ish bases - mabee a bit larger, but smaller than E27 - and they MAY be a bit snug in an old E26 socket.

The spec is E for "Edison" followed by the thread size in MM.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Thanks, I didn't know that about LEDs. I've tried lots of CFLs in my favorite German floor lamp and had no luck. I even took the whole think apart thinking it might be a bad connection or switch, and the build quality is impressive.

So just now I got a no-name store brand LED out of the box and tried it, works fine.

Reply to
TimR

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 14:28:01 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to digest...

Clare, thanks for that info. My "brain" hurts :)

Reply to
Tekkie©