Subject Author Posted Replies

Google is being rather unhelpful today. I'm after getting something looking like a Henry, but bagless, that I can drag around outdoors and vacuum up pine needles from paved areas. It would also be...
27

OT: Viewpoint: Demystifying radiation - the nemesis of nuclear energy?
From: Reports by the United Nations on ionizing radiation may prove crucial for a nuclear renaissance, Abel González told delegates at the World Nuclear Association Symposium being held in London...
11

how does this undo?
In article , Tim+ wrote: Just choose Undo on the edit menu.
28
28

OT: Going the long way round ....
I received a letter yesterday - not just any letter - this one had a genuine First Class stamp stuck on the envelope! It was posted in Newark in Nottinghamshire, then sent to Sheffield, where it was...
3
3

Why do the energy companies do this!
My account with Scottish power showed that my DD with them needed to rise to clear the balance when it came to the annual review. Fair enough to a problem to raise to clear the debt. However they put...
10
10

Old computer backup media destruction
After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable? I don't have an angle grinder. Burning them would...
41
41

[OT] "Genoa Bridge Collapse: The Road to Tragedy"
For anyone interested, here's a clear explanation with graphics (especially good on Android) on how that road bridge in Genoa collapsed last month. The New York Times has reconstructed how the...
9
9

Driving eyesight rules.
Am I right in thinking that in the past I had to be able to read a car number plate at 25 yards whereas now it is only 20m? I am not sure if the size of the number plate characters have changed.
13
13

british gas wireless thermostate non programmable model -wl2
with batteries changed and button pushed it keeps flashing what is wrong****

Water governor failure
Yesterday arrived home from holiday to hear a strange thrumming noise under the breakfast room floor, with signs of damp. Lifted the floorboard and found the mains water supply pipe, in which was...
16
16

Worth sweeping an unused chimney?
My friend has a chimney which is capped off with a flue vent. This became dislodged by winds and a chimney sweep firm is going to re-seat the vent. They recommended also having the chimney swept. Is...
3
3