USB Stick Oddity

I have a 'New Jersey Sound' NJA 240 portable sound system that I use for background music at parties and bbq's It's probably 5 or so years old. As well as audio input sockets it has a USB input, and I copy (rip) CD's onto a Sandisk Cruzer Blade 16 GB USB 2.0 sticks as a convenient way of having it work unattended.
I have two Sandisk Cruzer Blade 16 GB USB 2.0 sticks that I've had for years and they work faultlessly. But recently I've been trying to put music onto other sticks without success - I tried a couple of DataTraveller 64 GB USB 3 (but compatible with USB 2) - they work fine on my PC but NOT on the portable sound system that doesn't even see them.
So I ordered up some more Sandisk Cruzer Blade 16 GB USB 2.0 sticks and darn me they give the same issue. Fine playing on my PC but the sound system doesn't see them. All sticks that I've tried are formatted FAT32, and I've even tried re-formatting them FAT32 again but the symptoms persist.
So what the heck is happening - anyone any ideas or has anyone any ANCIENT Sandisk Cruzer Blade 16 GB sticks that I could try ??
TIA
Andrew
Andrew Mawson wrote:

They're not sticks that have hidden encrypted partitions?
"Andy Burns" wrote in message

Could be but how do I tell?
Andrew
On 06/07/2019 13:34, Andrew Mawson wrote:

If you are on liux you might try 'dd'-ing the contents of a working one off and 'dd'ing it onto a non working one.
That should sort out the foramat of the thing to be as identical as its contents.
Remember there is FAT 12, FAT 16 , FAT 32, exFAT, NTFS and NTFS5 to choose from.
Almost certainly it is the file system that is incompatible and re formatting with a lefgacy one is indicated
It looks like yopu need to drop to te cxommand line dos prompt to do it in windopws (howls of laughetr from l,iunux folks who have a GUI app for this
Type " format Z: /fs:FAT " for formatting to FAT
OR Type " format Z: /fs:FAT32 " for formatting to FAT32,
OR Type " format Z: /fs:NTFS " for formatting to NTFS,
OR Type " format Z: /fs:EXFAT " for formatting to EXFAT, where " Z " is the letter of your Memory stick. Press Y=Yes or N=No to proceed/stop the formatting
I'd try plain FAT or FAT16 as it is also known
foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

Or exFAT.
Important to ID what is on the working sticks EXACTLY
--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,

+1, but actually Windows does let you format in different systems straight from file manager.
By default I format all my sticks in exFAT these days, so that my Mac can see them too.
He already said he had reformatted them. I have to do this since most modern one come ntfs by default which all our ram stick players cannot see. Fat or fat 32 does work, but as I said we could not get the copier to copy to the new hardware type very reliably till we changed the firmware. Brian
--
----- --

In the past, I have used the linux gparted (gui) application to fix a USB stick problem.
--
Michael Chare

If you're using Windows, Disk Management will show you (and let you edit) the disk partitions and filesystem types graphically.
No it was not in our case it was some differently numbered NAB hardware issue that was reported. Pcs say installing driver software, but things not updatable will need to have their firmware changed to cope with the more modern hardware.
I This has been my experience on bulk copiers. Brian
--
----- --
Not if he has formatted them, besides mostly those tend to emulate floppy discs and are ignored by stick players. Brian
On 06/07/2019 13:20, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Off the cuff:
a.    does the amp specify a maximum size for USB sticks?
b.    have you compared the /actual/ size of the partitions on the (nominally) 16 GB sticks? (I've met some which are actually larger than the advertised size)?
c.    worth trying one of the new sticks with a single 8 GB parititon?
--
Robin
"Robin" wrote in message

I've managed to kick start Win7 disk manager diskmgmt.msc and that reports the partitions as 'simple' and healthy 14.91 GB primary partitions on both the working (OLD) 16 GB Cruzer Blade and the none working (NEW) 16 GB Cruzer Blade. I don't understand why a brand new but apparently genuine one shouldn't be seen by the sound system but work on the PC :(
Andrew
On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 14:04:04 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

I generally re-format any such media either 1) in the device it's going to be based in, assuming you can and / or 2) format it on a PC with whatever FS suites the intended need.
Like I just got 4 x 32GB Samsung uSD cards and the first thing I did was reformat them on my PC (XP in this case) and then run H2testw on them to make sure they are genuine (size) etc.
In this case the first one was going to be supporting Raspbian on a RPi and so when it's imaged it could change the FS / partitioning in any case.
Cheers, T i m
"T i m" wrote in message wrote:

OK I've re-formatted the non-working new stick as FAT32 (which is what it was and also what the working ones are) but the symptoms remain the same, works OK on the PC but the music player fails to see it, so still very odd. Windows disk manager shows them both the same as having a single primary partition of 14.91 GB.
It almost looks like an electrical / interface issue - still mighty puzzled and in need of help ! And no I have no Unix systems nor the knowledge to drive them if I did :(
Andrew
On 06/07/2019 15:11, Andrew Mawson wrote:

yes, I agree.
Maybe its more power hungry.Maybe its USB3 and the audio kit only understands USB2. and its not as backass compatible as it is supposed to be

Linux not relevant - its just easier to dig deeper with the linux tools

look exactly the same afterwards."
On 06/07/2019 15:11, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Something non-compliant in the music player, fighting with a tighter spec in the new sticks would be my guess.
Still could be worth trying different formats for the new sticks. I *assume* the music player does not have an option to "format new media" (in the way that cameras always do).
Format them to plain old fat. That might work but of course it will only be any good on the smaller sticks. Brian
--
----- --
On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 13:20:24 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

In addition to the useful answers mentioning possible extra partitions, maximum partition sizes and supported filesystems, another difference between old drives and newer drives is the offset to the first partition.
Drives formatted on older OSes like Windows XP used to start the first partition on sector 63, which with 512-byte sectors gave an offset of 31KB. Here's an example of an old 32GB USB drive:
DISKPART> list part
Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Primary 28 GB 31 KB
Since Windows 7 (or maybe Vista), the offset has been 1MB (1024KB). E.g. on a fairly new 64-GB USB stick:
DISKPART> list part
Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Primary 57 GB 1024 KB
Both are compatable with operating systems that implement the MBR specification correctly. But simple old devices might hard-code the sector 63 start, causing problems with recent USB sticks.
"Caecilius" wrote in message wrote:

Now that sounds quite promising - how do I see the partition info at that low level - presumably at the command prompts somehow?
Reading the printing on the new 'sticks' they call themselves "Cruzer SparK" but were advertised as Blades, whereas the older ones call themselves "Cruzer Blade" Perhaps just marketing speel?
Andrew