OT Project Splatter

Something I heard about on the radio that said badgers were twice as likely to be splatter than foxes. Must be a local thing as I have only ever seen a couple of badgers in my life but lots of foxes.

All I have had this year is one pigeon and a very near miss with a deer.

Reply to
ARW

See more dead Badgers than Foxes around here on the Hants ,Dorset Border. I would have thought Foxes would be more agile than Badgers so get out of the way more often, the latter grow larger as well and so the carcasses linger longer than a foxes.

There is a suggestion by some though that not all those Badgers are roadkill, as a protected animal there are penalties in dealing with them in anyway without a licence . Some apparently still will risk killing them but then leave the carcass by the roadside where once it has been clouted by a few vehicles it looks like any other animal that has been hit.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I must have seen fifty dead badgers this year, which seems more than I normally notice, but I have done quit a lot more 'A road' rather than Motorway journeys for various reasons.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Badgers have very poor eyesight. They are also mostly black and white not brown.

They seem to have no sense of danger on roads though, sadly. Most of the ones around here live in the railway embankment. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

seen gar more roadkill badgers than foxes. Foxes are smarter and run faster.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think that in 40 years I have never hit an animal

do you deliberately aim for them?

Reply to
tim...

Predominantly rabbits, though far less than usual this year. RVHD2 is in the area which decimates rabbit populations.

Pheastants are second. There is a "hot spot" for pheasants betweem Whitfield and the bridge over the River Allen any connection with a shoot is coincidental of course...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You probably dont live in the country then.

I have lost count of the pigeons and pheasants. Must have run over a fair few bunnies too. Think I hita cat once, but when I stopped I couldnt find it..

Managed to avoid the deer but it's always a close call.

No. Only cyclists

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Location, location, location!

It may well be that your foxes have moved to the big cities

We have very few badgers in Inner London. We have /lots/ of foxes - take* eg the 4 in our garden last night. So in 45 years I've seen the occasional splattered fox but never a badger. Indeed, traffic is just about the only thing that slows the growth of the fox population. So the spread of 20 mph zones means we're doomed to ever more disturbed nights, stinking doorways and ruined gardens.

And ignore the rubbish often written about "we've always had urban foxes". When I moved to London in the 70s they were rarely seen or heard. Now the bloody things are everywhere, bask in the sun, and often don't bother to move until you throw something at them.

*pretty please?
Reply to
Robin

Umm. Thanks for that. I wondered why all I am seeing is hares, and no bunnies, except sick looking ones

Nevre mind. We were swamped with bunnies and they need culling right back.,

By the way your sentence reads very weirdly.

"RVHD2 is in the area which decimates rabbit populations."

Which area is it that decimates rabbit populations? And what is RVHD2 doing in there?

Try inserting a comma....

Apropos of nothing in partucular, the young elms that periodically spring up, seed, and die of dutch elm disease, in my hedge, have now reached about 20ft tall with no sign of the disease...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. Wait till they start killing babaies and spreading rabies.

Never seen a fox in London till the noughties or one in a town till the 90s.

I see the odd one out and about here. Mostly going for pheasants and their eggs.

People who keep chickens are regularly cleaned out by foxes, now they arent being hunted...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I read (possibly on this NG) a while back something about badger baiters dumping the carcasses by the side of the road when they have finished with them. Which passes the Occam test.

There really are some scum out there.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That *could* explain some of them, several I've noticed in the same spot, which I just put down to a family of badgers picking a bad corner to live next to, but also near a lay-by

But there are others that look more horrific with a trail of blood where the badger has crawled for yards after being hit and finally leaving a pool of blood several feet across ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Farage and Widdicombe will be dancing in their £5,919.37 a month (net of EU tax) MEP jobs.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

well no

but I supposed (from previous evidence) that Adam doesn't either

tim

Reply to
tim...

RVHD2 is pretty quick to develop and when the time comes they just fit and keel over, no obvious signs of cause of death, they look in good condition fit and healthy. Some are found with their last mouthful of grass still in their mouths. Unlike myxomatosis which does make them look ill before going blind with swollen and infected eyes.

But I'm not a panda. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No. it fails the occam test.

Badgers are around in huge numbers.

And where I have seen them is not where you would dump one - up against the central reservation of a motorway.

The simplest explanation is that badgers are slow, and not good at dodging cars at night. And are outbreeding their habitats.

There really are some stupid people out there.

Badger baiting is an invention of the left 'animal rights' press mainly. I have never heard of a case of it with actual hard evidence and convictions.

Dog fighting, yes.

Diddies do that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Who said the badgers were dead when they were dumped ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

He may well drive there though.

It is not uncommon here to meet someone who patently has absolutely no idea how to drive a car whent there isnt a road sign telling them where to go, how fast to drive and so on.

We have to shoo them back to suburbia where they belong with their speed humps and cameras and painted lines and 20mph limits

Technically the road outside my house has a 60mph limit

And very few passing places. It is essentially pretty much single lane.

You are far more likely to see a fox badger pheasant or deer on it than someone doing more than 40mph though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Who in their right-mind would want to manhandle a wounded badger?

Reply to
Andy Burns