Badgers

Hi,

There was a lovely house near me last year which had just been modernised throughout but I didn't go for it - it got snapped up pretty quick anyhow. I have since learnt that at the rear of the house is a small wood with a badger set in there.

At first I thought how cute... but since I have wondered whether having one so close to a house could be a potential problem - i.e. as in digging down underneath the foundations? Anyone know anything about this kind of thing? Just curious?

J.

Reply to
John Smith

Possible but unlikely. Badgers are fairly shy but they can cause havoc in a garden as they forage for worms etc.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Bovine TB, possibly (this could end up as another Ragwort or Speed Camera thread...)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I "lived" with some for ten years no problems. TB - no one has yet proved it even after they killed a "lot" in one area. Man just likes to kill any thing just for fun. To watch them play at night is better than drink to relax.

Reply to
raclyqm

Well, David Archer's convinced. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Dave Plowman wrote

Do you mean the character in the every day story about the super rich farm owning community?

Reply to
Alan

When I was a lad a lady round the corner had badgers come into her garden every night. I spent some evenings round there, leaning out of the garage window hand feeding them.

Making sure I didn't get my fingers in the way of their nibbling gear of course!

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Shhh! You'll attract the troll from under his bridge.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Haven't heard it for a while, silly sod didn't take up the option of having his own, independant, examination of the body. In "the real world" that would surely be the thing to do. It would make his case so much stronger if said dead Badger had had TB.

As for the piss poor research I smell something, why does no one put up the cash to do a proper scientific appraisal? Vetinary Drugs companies making loads a money from TB vaccines? A feeling that they (who ever "they" are) won't get the answer they want, ie Badgers do carry TB to cattle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Indeed. The main thread at the moment is about the Grundys.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Thanks for all the info... not sure about the Archers' bit though... Darn, I did like that house but became unemployed a few months before it came on the market. With hindsight, I still wish I had gone for it now....

J.

Reply to
John Smith

In message , Dave Liquorice wrote

No, it's the other way around. Cattle infect badgers. Cull all of the cattle and the TB problem will go away.

Reply to
Alan

Selective quoting is wonderful isn't it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's like saying that humans infect mosquitoes with malaria (oh yes they do) so we should get rid of humans and the malaria problem will go away.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

It might help with global warming too ....

Reply to
geoff

In message , Mary Fisher wrote

The relationship between humans, mosquitoes and malaria is understood. Do you believe that killing all the badgers in the UK will stop TB in cattle?

Reply to
Alan

dl> As for the piss poor research I smell something, why does no one put dl> up the cash to do a proper scientific appraisal?

Maybe there isn't an EU form to fill in to do so:-).

Reply to
Richard Caley

I haven't expressed an opinion on that point.

The answer is that I have no belief about it. Not enough research has been done in UK and DEFRA seems to be in the grip of the badger supporters to take any notice of the astonishing results from culling in the Republic of Ireland.

But you'll never kill all the badgers so it's not a sensible question.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Fisher

Do they organise resistance cells? ;-)

Reply to
John Smith

I think they are in Iraq hunting down Sddam. Even as I type squads of highly trained badgers are lying in wait disguised as desert badgers... They'll get him.

Reply to
John Smith