An old cable I am not familiar with

Steel braided PVC cables found in an Airey house.

Possibly never intended for domestic use and may have been used in pits and quarries is one suggestion I have had. The cables cores are stranded copper and the imperial equivalent of 1mm.

Anyone seen it before?

Reply to
ARW

Is that a wire braid outside? The insulation looks a bit like rubber rather than PVC, which suggests it might be pre-WW2?

"In the 1930?s the first trials with PVC insulations were being made in Germany and by the end of the second world war there were significant varieties of synthetic rubbers and polyethylene.

By the 1950?s PVC was commercially viable and replaced rubber cables in many areas particularly in domestic wiring, aluminium was also starting to be used widely as an alternative conductor"

newshound

Steel braiding over single PVC insulated cores.

Reply to
ARW

Possible, in a mining area?

Alternatively, no outer sheathing saved plastic (in short supply) and the steel braiding saved copper (in short supply), and steel (in short supply) compared to conduit, and was quicker to install than conduit.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I was here

ARW

Industrial / mining certainly sounds plausible. Might it even have been for firing explosives? The braiding might help reduce "losses".

Reply to
newshound

Very close to here then

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

As you said an Airey type house. They were built as in kit form including the wiring. Each socket was radially fed with each cable being having different colour pairs. The braiding was the earth return path.

Reply to
John Bryan

Is it steel or tin plated copper?

GH

Reply to
Marland

Yes when we rewired in the 70s the old cable was mostly rubber with a kind of fabric on the outside. The cooker supply here is aluminium wire, and it seems to be pretty good, still, but of course dates back to the 60s, and was merely moved to the new CU when the rewiring was done. I've never bothered with another CU to bring it all up to date, since it seems pretty pointless these days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In our last house built 1957 it must have been wired with rubber insulated cable with a separate bare earth conductor running alongside it. I say must have because I only found one section connecting the bedrooms and if I recall right it seemed a lot bulkier than 2.5 T&E. I have no idea what types of sockets were there originally but there was evidence of wires being crimped to the earth conductor. The previous wankers - sorry owners, did a partial rewire if you could call it that hanging individual sockets off the rubber cable with junction boxes and as for the earth simply twisted the CPC from the new sections of T&E onto the old earth no crimps or solder and they did not even clean off the years of crud built up on the wire surface. I do not even to this day know if that section of rubber wire was even part of a ring main. In the end I started from scratch simply ripping everything out.

Coming back to the unfamiliar cable theme I came across a type of cable I had never seen before whilst re-plastering a wall it had two rubber sheathed conductors but they had an outer sheath of lead. It was only a short section I suspect to connect to a wall light. I presume the outer lead sheathing was to provide an earth conductor but it struck me as a very expensive cable especially for the fifties when we had just recently come off rationing following the war!

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

They didn't bother with earthing for lights in those days! Lead was to provide weatherproofing and also to keep ozone away from the rubber, which would otherwise crack. It also means a live to neutral fault should blow the fuse with little risk of causing a local fire.

My first house (Victorian) was built with gas lights, but electric lighting was probably added about 1910. This was via wooden trunking with two channels, each containing a single core rubber insulated flex. No two way switching in those days. Still functioning when I moved in (mid 1970's).

Reply to
newshound

Pretty sure it is steel braiding. Just like a SY cable without the clear plastic outer.

Reply to
ARW

Tricky Dicky expressed precisely :

That would have been 7.029 old imperial cable.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

newshound was thinking very hard :

'Cap and casing', often installed by joiners who would wire houses up after a bit of basic training, in the 1900's on.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Makes some sense. After all, making a neat job of installing electrics to an old house not built with it needs more joiner's skills than electrical.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Didn't ally really appear due to the copper crisis when Rhodesia went independent? Although councils seemed to be always looking out to save a few pennies on their own house wiring.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I presume you meant this

ARW

I did.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The apprentice liked the joists. No need (or indeed no way) to drill them.

Reply to
ARW