I am in need of an adjustable dovetail jig

Have a wedding present to build and I am using a plan I found in issue 32 of Woodsmith. Problem is I have never done dovetails and this one calls for various sized dovetails to be cut. I have researched the jigs and seen the Leigh and Akeda jigs which would do the job but trying to save some cash and would prefer a used one or borrow or rent one! Being in So. Cal there is not a whole lot of local shopping to do and none of my few ww buddies have anything more than a fixed jig the same as I do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kevin email any suggestions or help to me at ocwoodworker at cox.net Thanks in advance

Reply to
Yobosaeyo

Tue, Jul 26, 2005, 10:09pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Yobosaeyo) Have a wedding present to build and I am using a plan I found in issue

32 of Woodsmith. Problem is I have never done dovetails and this one calls for various sized dovetails to be cut. email any suggestions or help to me at ocwoodworker at cox.net Thanks in advance

Just posted and saw this. Anything wrong with making all the dovetails the same size? Hell, make box joints, if you want to.

E-mail you? LMAO Yeah, right. If it's worth posting here, it's worth coming back and checking for responses. And, for the Gods' sakes, give it a couple of days, and check first, before you post and say this post never showed up.

JOAT Blessed are the flexible; for they shall never be bent out of shape.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Do you have a bandsaw. There's a jib in Duginske's book. It's a little trick to master, but I'm trying it out.

Or you can cut by hand...

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Thanks for the suggestion Bruce. But no worries I found a Leigh Jig on eBay for $104.00 and That will work for me. As for JOAT thanks for the reaffirmation of the fact that there are a lot of jerks on this board. I have not been building anything for a couple years and have not been to the group in a while either. Now I remember why!

Reply to
Yobosaeyo

Wed, Jul 27, 2005, 5:56pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Yobosaeyo) graciously states: Thanks for the suggestion Bruce. But no worries I found a Leigh Jig on eBay for $104.00 and That will work for me. As for JOAT thanks for the reaffirmation of the fact that there are a lot of jerks on this board. I have not been building anything for a couple years and have not been to the group in a while either. Now I remember why!

I an unable to satisfactorily and adequately express my grief for the distress you have suffered because of my attempt to assist you. I had no indication you are so delicate, and considered plans sacrosanct. I had thought that possibly you would be more comfortable by the prospect of making the dovetails all the same size, and thus be relieved of the stress, and aggrevation, of making multiple sized dovetails. But, alas, I was wrong. Same with the suggestion that you could use box joints instead of dovetails. But, again, alas. I erred again.

I do agree with you about jerks. They do come here. Indeed. How fortunate for you that I did not choose to be a jerk, and post something along the lines of, "Hey dummy, why don't you just make some dovetail jigs of different sizes?". But, that wouldn't have been right, so I posted what I thought was a polite response, that would provide you with some opthins you may not have thought of. I shall try to remember in the future that you do not respond well to suggestions of that nature.

Yes, not that I reflect on it, the few jerks here were very influential in my decision to distance myself from the group for a while. Apparently I should have made it a longer distance.

Have a nice life.

JOAT Yes, it's my truck. No, I won''t help you move.

- Seen on a bumper sticker

Reply to
J T

Reply to
Yobosaeyo

I put that JOAT in my kill file a long time ago.

Reply to
Pat Payne