Dovetail jig question

I need to make dovetail joints for a guitar amplifier cab. I found this jig at Screwfix:

anyone know if this jig makes through joints or half hidden joints? I would prefer through joints as I want to round off the corners of the cabinet with a natural finish like on early Mesa Boogie amps.

Thanks a lot. Garry

Reply to
garry parker

Makes half. And it makes them poorly.

Reply to
Toller

Looks like the Rockler jig.

rmc

That's a Harbor Freight jig. When I first thought of making dovetails a 'buddy' of mine picked that exact jig up for me. I sold it at a garage sale - unopened.

Reply to
D Steck

Thanks for the replies. I'll see if I can find a better quality one anywhere else, but the few I've seen all look much like that one. Rebadged Chinese stuff I suppose.

Garry

Reply to
garry parker

Not so, it's like saying all plunge routers look the same, therefore they must all be rebadged Chinese stuff.....

Trend, DeWalt and Elu come to mind....

The Axminster DTJ jig looks like the screwfix one, but is of a much better build quality.

Currently on sale for £44.94

No I don't work for them....

I know a woodworking instructor that teaches routing courses, he highly recommends the Axminster jig.

I even have one, once a couple of set up gauges have been made, it's possible to set the jig up in a minute or so and get VERY satisfactory half inch and quarter inch pitched, half-lapped and finger joint with it.

Alternatively there are the Trend jigs, the CDJ300 is £70 ($129), but I don't think it's as easy to set up and use as the Axminster DTJ. Although for an extra £80 ($147) for extra templates and cutters, it's possible to cut through dovetails.

There are better jigs, but at a price, The Trend DC400 is nice, but at £299 ($550).... The Leigh D4 is nice as well, but I don't have £350 ($644) to spend on a tool I'd user once or twice every couple of months.

The Leigh D1600 at $319 looks like it might suit my future needs, but I haven't seen it for sale in the UK yet, so have no idea how much it will cost...

Graham

Reply to
Graham Walters

If it is the Harbor Freight jig, it makes half hidden joints.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Graham

Well, the D4R is selling for right at $400US from Lee Valley, so if it going for $644 in the UK, the UK price on the D1600 should be about the same difference

John

Reply to
john

which looks exactly like the Chicago Machinery jig sold by HF

1/4 the price.

Reply to
Odinn