Plastic Pipe To Fit Cast Iron .

My flat ( 100 years old) has the waste from both bath and wash hand basin going in to a cast iron pipe that runs the length of the building and serves all the flats . ....The waste pipe from the bath is wedged in to the spigot (?) with the aid of turns of Sylglas tape and that works OK and it is hidden anyway .

The wash hand basin waste has ,up until now,been fitted in to a reducer similar to this Screwfix one ( but compression type) ,the reducer being held in by a liberal quantity of Plumbers Mait .This is hardly ideal and I am looking for ideas to improve this arrangement . The spigot is about 60mm at the opening but tapers down so the 32mm pipe is a fairly snug fit.......I supose I could just do what I did before and also box it in but maybe someone can come up with a better idea.

Stuart

Yes. Do it again, but with 32mm chromed pipe and waste. Looks much nicer! I got mine with an amazingly cheap deal from Homebase. The price of the suite was pretty amazing. What I didn't expect was the quality of the fittings. Decent chrome plated monobloc tap. The chrome waste and pipe, which I expected to be painted plastic, was actually genuinely chromed brass.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I would expect a pipe spigot to have a BSP female thread inside it. British Standard pipe threads are designated by the pipe ID in inches, not the thread OD and about 60mm sounds like 2" BSP; more specifically 2" BSPT (tapered). If so, you should be able to get an adaptor that screws into that, but you won't find one in the DIY sheds. You need to visit a plumbers' supplier for that sort of fitting.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Thx Colin but the "spigot" ( if thats what is called ) doesn't have any thread .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Any chance of a posting a picture somewhere?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Yup..Will do

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Here you are .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

That looks like a pipe socket or even a reducer with a bit of pipe broken off at the exposed end. I suspect that you won't be able to do much better than something similar to the fitting you removed.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Peering inside with the aid of a torch Colin it does look as if the front part ( with the jagged edge) has ben inserted in but it's almost certainly ben in since Noah was a wee boy so nae chance of getting it out . I'll just construct a box rund it to make it neater and then fit the plastic pipe that I had in before and seal it up in some fashion ... Thx for your help Stuart

Reply to
Stuart