Stainless steel sheet.

What's a cheap (!) source for stainless sheet, approx. 1200x600x1mm? It needen't be brushed, mirror finish, or whatever.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If I was looking for that, I would pay a visit to my local steel stockholders, easily found in the yellow pages. In my case, it would be Goodman Steel in Reading. I've never bought sheet, but they have supplied small quantities of steel sections cut to my specifications. If they can't get you what you want (and I'd be very surprised), they'll know who can.

Steel's quite expensive at the moment, though, AIUI.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Try metal supermarkets, sometimes they have offcuts from larger sheets

wattie

In article , wattie writes

steering towards commercial kitchen fabricators, they'll be buying in huge quantities and may give you the benefit of their discounts for an offcut.

Reply to
fred

My mate Armon. He just made me a 40" x 20" brushed stainless splashback with folded edges for £35.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from fred contains these words:

I can't get their website to work properly and it's all in imerial sizes.

Reply to
Guy King

In article , Guy King writes

I've never visited the site, I found them in the Yellow Pages and their friendly attitude & no minimum charge policy means I keep going back. It's a franchise operation I think so quality may vary but def worth a call.

Reply to
fred

They had a 5ukp minimum charge last time I went there (their Gateshead facility) about a month ago.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The message from fred contains these words:

I wanted to see what sort of thing they stocked - and get an idea of their prices compared to the local steel stockholder.

Reply to
Guy King

In article , Guy King writes

I just visited the site & see what you mean, Flash crippled and sizes quoted in Ameriperial. The personal shopping experience is far nicer I assure you but I am a little spoiled as my local is only 10mins away and so easy to drop in. Finding one in my local Yellow Pages I assumed there was one in every large town but seeing the store locator I realise I am just lucky.

When I was looking for about 50m of mixed sized 16 & 10mm MS black rod the price was comparative with the steel stockholders but without the minimum charge and with a far friendlier attitude.

They seem to have plenty of MS stock in rod, strip, sheet and angle, and claim to be able to order anything not in stock for next day collection. Weld mesh limited in stock but available to order although I thought a bit expensive. A fair bit of stainless stock but less than MS. They're often happy to throw in off cuts of scrap into larger orders. I've never been charged for cuts. UK stores quote in metric.

HTH

Reply to
fred

The message from fred contains these words:

I tried emailing their North American site to ask why even the British site was in imperial - but the email bounced.

Probably sent it in millimeters and they were expecting it in thou.

Reply to
Guy King

they probably don't know where Britain is -- their geography isn't too good -- the UK site shows a London franchise, f'rinstance, which just happens to be in London, Ontario

/phil

Reply to
phil chastney